THE PAJAMA GAME

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "The Pajama Game"?

Poor
1%
Average
10%
Good
22%
Excellent
67%

Total votes: 82

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: THE PAJAMA GAME

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I love that picture!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

BabeWilliams wrote:I love that picture!
I have just seen it now...again..and I just adore it..Doris is unique..she can do anything

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Just re- reading a certain book that caused an uproar around 2008 - reading it out of sync - and at the part of PJ - actually the book is incredibly complimentary and well researched. Love the bit where Doris pulled rank - a very rare thing indeed - and why? Because Carol Heaney was v ill and the director was insisting she continue - Miss Day stopped production and said something along the lines of "either someone takes this lady to the hospital, or I am leaving here..." - bearing in mind CH was diabetic - Miss Day could literally have saved her life at this time.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Does anyone know if there is a Pajama Game songbook?

There are so many wonerful songs and this is one of the best musicals ever produced and a great Doris Day film.

The songs, "There Once Was A Man", "Hey There", Steam Heat" are terrific.
Johnny

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

Yes, there is, a 28-page one that I bought back in '06 in a music store. It's from:
Warner Bros. Publications
Warner Music Group
An AOL Time Warner Company
15800 N.W. 48th Avenue, Miami, Florida 33014 (It's probably all changed now.)

Page 2 is 'The Story of "The Pajama Game"'--meaning the plot of the story, not the story of the show or of the movie. The centerfold is 2 pages of black-and-white photos from the movie.

NOT included are "Racing With the Clock" and, oddly, "The Pajama Game". All fairly bare-bones!

But the others are there, I'm Not at all in Love, Once-a-Year Day, Small Talk, There Once Was a Man, and the 3 that were pop hits in the '50s.. Hernando's Hideaway, Hey There, and Steam Heat.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you so much!

The Pajama Game is a big favouite within the family. I plan to make the songbook a birthday surprise for my cousin who plays the piano. She will be overjoyed.

Thank you so much again.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

As I was sorting a lot of sheet music recently, I saw "Once a Year Day" from "Pajama Game" and part of the lyric caught my eye. To confirm to myself that I recalled correctly, I paid close attention to that song when I watched the movie again over the weekend. As Richard Adler and Jerry Ross originally wrote it, the phrase was, "Charlie's wife is mad as hell"; however, Doris does not sing it that way. She sings, "Charlie's wife is fightin' mad." Anybody know whose idea it was to change it for the film and sound track?

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

It is over a year since I gave my cousin The Pajama Game songbook. She now has introduced the song to her many new friends in her new residence in a retirement home. She used to sing in Toronto nightclubs with two of her girlfriends as The Brownettes. Doris' Hey There is a big favourite and I'm Not At All IN Love is popular as well. The Pajama Game movie is also shown to the residents and is well loved.

The Pajama Game is the gift that keeps on giving.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

The Pajama Game is one of Doris ' top notch films. Here is the information on the DVD Jacket.

Front DVD Cover:
Based on the hit Broadway musical featuring the choreography of Bob Fosse.
Starring Doris Day

Back DVD Cover:

An expert, fast moving, hard hitting, piece of modern musical cinema.
Halliwell's Film and video Guide

Labour and Management at the Sleeptite Pajama factory aren't sleeping much lately: A proposed 7 and half- cent hourly wage increase is why --and a strike may result. But negotiations here involve snappy stars, terrific tunes and dynamite dances as Doris Day, John Raitt and a Broadway seasoned cast play The Pajama Game.

Songs by the Damn Yankees duo of Richard Adler and Jerry Ross and choreography by Bob Fosse generates lots of Steam Heat, all wrapped together delightfully under the direction of two musical masters of stage and screen, George Abbott and Stanley Donen. Besides Steam Heat (showcasing the quirky brilliance of dancer Carol Haney) catch, Hey There, I'm Not At All In Love,, Hernando's Hideaway, Once- A- Year Day, and other all-time great numbers. For peerless entertainment, negotiate no further. Nothing is quite the same as The Pajama Game.

Newly remastered from restored elements to look and sound as fresh as ever.

Special Features:
Deleted song -The Man Who Invented Love
Theatrical Trailer
Johnny

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

This almost forgotten gem should be celebrated again as Doris was this past April. Trending on social media and her new photos. Pajama Game showcased a family living bye the railroad tracks and working at a factory. Leading the good life with their situation. Beer drinking folks and more than average. Sort of a fifties hollywood movie in the Roassane vein, not as vulgar or brash though. A lady I worked with at Blue Cross years ago reminded me of Doris as Babe. Same hair style and liked a beer now and then. She was as classy as Babe and I always thought she was channeling Doris's character. The song Once A year Day, could apply to the birthday celebration tradition now for Doris's birthday.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

The Pajama Game film originated as a 1954 Tony award winning Broadway musical starring Janis Paige and John Raitt. The play was based on the novel Seven and A Half Cents by Richard Bissell.

When it was released as a film on August 29-1957 starring Doris Day and John Raitt, it premiered at Radio City Music Hall in New York.

David Kaufman's book quotes New York Times film critic, Bosley Crowther review of The Pajama Gsme as,"It is fresh, funny, lively and tuneful. Indeed, in certain respects ... it is even more lively than it was on stage... The whole thing is splendid, the Colour is gay and strong and even Miss Day, the interloper, is right in the spirit of things". The film received across the board raves. Even as demanding a critic as William K. Zinsser wrote, in The New York Herald Tribune ,"everything about the show in fact, looks fresh...Raitt and Miss Day make an attractive, if somewhat boy-and-girl-next-door pair in Te throes of love...The duets between them are staged with imagination and humour".

Three of the songs in The Pajama Game, Hey There, Hernando's Hideaway and Steam Heat became music chart toppers.

The only other musical that I recall being staged

a factory is the wonderful Kinky Boots. It is an unusual setting but the excellent art direction, cinematography in The Pajama Game make it an interesting environment. The choreography by the brilliant Bob Fosse is extraordinary.

The critics consensus score on Rotten Tomatoes is 91%. The audience score is 65%. In 1957, interest in musicals was starting to decline. Today, there s a great resurgence in musicals and audiences have renewed their appreciation.

In February 2006, The Pajama Game revival returned to Broadway with Harry Connick Jr. and Kelli O'Hara in the lead roles. The New York Times theater critic Ben Brantley wrote in his headline: "Dresses Are Fine, but Pajamas Are Devine".
The Pajama Game -1957
The Pajama Game -1957
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Stephen Silverman, in his book about Stanley Donen, described "The Pajama Game" as "a joyous exercise." He wrote that Warner Bros. initially negotiated with Bing Crosby to play the male lead, but that Crosby's salary demands were too high. John Raitt told Silverman that the movie was shot very quickly (just under 6 weeks) and that Jack Warner even "had us work until 6 p.m. on Christmas Eve, although we didn't do anything but sit around and sing Christmas carols."

Raitt's screen test was done in New York and shown to Doris in California, but she wasn't impressed with it and asked if the studio could get Dean Martin or Gordon MacRae. When she and Raitt later tested together in person, however, she changed her mind. Silverman gives high marks to the film overall and to Eddie Foy, Jr., Reta Shaw, and Carol Haney in particular. His most effusive praise, though, was for Doris. After lauding her as a singer "with few peers," he wrote:

"Doris Day seldom received the acclaim she deserved. As an actress she projected conviction and range. Her comedic timing was impeccable, whether physical or verbal. She was attractive in a way that could be both naughty and nice. Unfairly, the latter quality got pinned on her and ultimately denied her serious acceptance as a leading actress. Probably it was a matter of the times; [perhaps] in another era she would have competed for the same roles that went to Barbara Stanwyck, Rosalind Russell, Jean Arthur, and Irene Dunne. [Despite the lack] of outstanding vehicles, however, audiences were able to enjoy her . . . brilliance in movies that ran from mediocre to very good."

Donen said that Doris's performance in "The Pajama Game" was "energetic, lively, lovable -- and went on to say that, as Silverman reported, "No one else could have given the film what Doris Day brought to it."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you so much Musiclover for these wonderful insights from.Stanley Donen on The Pajama Game. It is so comforting to read Donen's validation on Doris' abilities as an actress. It is of particular interest that Rosalind Russell, Barbara Stanwyck and Irene are mentioned . They are all actresses of exceptional abilities and talent.

I will make a point of reading Stephen Silverman's book. It sounds fascinating.
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Thanks for all the info, I love The Pajama Game, I must watch it again soon. It's always fresh and has kept the show alive over all these years. I was surprised to hear that Doris wanted Gordon MacRae or Dean Martin in preference to John Raitt initially. It suggests that she had clout but didn't always get her own way! Many Hollywood stars would identify with that experience. The studios went so far to keep stars happy but only up to a point and they were right to keep John Raitt, who knew the role inside out,
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

The following comments on The Pajama Game, are from The Doris Day Scrapbook by Alan Gelb. It states:

"Doris Day's next movie, and her only film of 1957, was the best musical she ever made and in fact, one of the most satisfying movie musicals ever. It was The Pajama Game, one of the great Broadway hits of all time, and it lost none of it's luster in it's transference to the screen. It was directed by Stanley Donen and George Abbot, and except for Doris and Barbara Nichols, it maintained the original Broadway cast, with John Raitt, Eddie Fly Jr., Reta Shaw, and Carol Haney as the principals. Doris replaced Janis Paige, with whom she made her film debut nine years earlier"........

"Doris is really very special in this film. Never has she been so sensual, so adult and so womanly. She radiates a sense of herself physically and emotionally. As the hardboiled Babe, she is tenacious and tough but with a vulnerability and an openness that grows as the film progresses. The part of Babe is so right for Doris Day. Doris has always played some variation on the aggressive, attractive woman who always has to make it on her own in fact he real world before she can find happiness.".....

"In addition to having a gutsy part to play, Doris had one of the greatest scores to sing. The Pajama Game is one of those musicals, like South Pacific, or Guys and Dolls or Kiss Me Kate in which every number is a standard."

The Pajama Game is another of Doris' film where she richly deserved an Academy Award nomination.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

While discussing favourite movie musicals, The Pajama Game was mentioned a number of times. I started watching it and realized I had forgotten how wonderful and funny the opening scenes of this film are.

it opens with John Raitt marching into The Sleeptite Pajama Factory to become the new superintendent. The scene of Eddie Foy and the factory workers singing The Pajama Game is warm and engaging. This is followed up with Racing With The Clock that really creates the frenetic work atmosphere.. Later, Eddie Foy Jr, sings "I'll Never Be Jealous Again" which is truly a delight.

As Doris as head of the grievance committee makes her entrance and meets with John Raitt (Sid), the chemistry is eclectic. Her first song is "I'm Not At All in Love", immediately sets a romantic tone for the film.

John Raitt singing Hey There is magical. I would love to see this song become popular again.

I would encourage anyone who has not seen The Pajama Game in a while to watch it again.

The only thing that dates the film is the part of the plot when the superintendent asks the employee for a date. This would not be acceptable in 2019.

The picnic scene is one of the best ever put in a film musical.

Everyone in the supporting cast is perfect. Carol Haney, Reta Shaw, Thelma Parish, Barbara Nichols and Ralph Dunn all enrich this film.

Steam Heat and Hernando's Hideaway are breathtaking knockout songs and scenes

The Pajama Game is rarely shown on television. Perhaps with the resurgence of film musicals, we may see an updated version on the silver screen again.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

That scene introducing Doris/Babe is stunning to me - she looks sublime (those eyes) and her overall attitude - it is just wonderful "there are rules about this..."

:| :| :|

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

I agree with all of the comments about "The Pajama Game". One of my real joys about teaching the "More Than Freckles" class a few years back, was watching the reaction of students to "The Pajama Game". It's a real revelation for many as to the stunning skills of Miss Day in her role. It's a classic musical performance that stands the test of time.

On November 14th, I am hosting a theatrical screening of "The Pajama Game", here in Concord, NH. The buzz and excitement, already, portend a great turnout. Since its rarely seen on television, there is great anticipation about seeing it on the big screen.

I do a local talk show and they have promised to film the intro and Q & A after the screening. I will share it on the Forum at that time so everyone can feel a part of this event.

One of the really wonderful things about living in a smallish city in New Hampshire is the willingness of various entities to take a chance when I make such a suggestion. At my urging, there is also to be an October screening of "Pillow Talk" to mark the 60th anniversary of the film's release. As part of this screening, they'll be showing trailers from 15 of Miss Day's films - a real cross-section - right before the feature. I think it'll give the audience a chance to truly discover Miss Day's amazing range as an actress. Will keep you all informed.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Paul, you're a treasure in the effort to keep Doris's legacy alive and growing. Wish I could be in Concord on November 14; that will surely be a fun event.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Paul for sharing the news about the November 14th screening of The Pajama Game in Concord and the October screening to celebrate Pillow Talk's 60th anniversary.
It is wonderful to know a new generation will have the opportunity to see Doris Day on the silver screen. I am sure these films will leave a joyous indelible impression.

I would like to see annual Doris Day Film Festivals
every April to celebrate and remember Doris' beautiful legacy to the film industry .

In Toronto, each month we have special event screenings of classic films at major theaters. I plan on asking for Doris Day films to be shown next April in honour of Doris' birthday. Last December, The Man Who Knew Too Much was screened at our BelI Lightbox Theater and was well attended.
Let us hope Doris' great talents will always be remembered and celebrated.
Johnny

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

Good luck in getting some titles screened for next April. If you are successful, please let me know. We might just drive-up from New Hampshire to attend a showing!!! :)

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thanks Paul, I very much look forward to seeing the intro/ Q&A.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

The ripple effect of one bold action

By Ellen Willadsen | Chief financial officer, Holmes Murphy & Associates. Monday, January 27, 2020.
What do pajamas, Doris Day, beer, women in business and my hometown have in common? Textile Brewery in Dyersville, that’s what! A new brewery opened in Dyersville earlier this year, and it brings together history and progress for women.

Allow me to explain — let’s start with pajamas. Textile is built in an old pajama factory — not just any pajama factory, but a factory with an interesting past. Richard Bissel, the author of the book "7 1/2 Cents," was the son of the manager of the sewing factory in the early 1900s. The book is about the women of the pajama factory in Dyersville who walked out in 1916 over a 7 1/2-cent pay discrepancy.

The book is about the women of the pajama factory in Dyersville who walked out in 1916 over a 7 1/2-cent pay discrepancy.

Now on to Doris Day. Doris Day starred in the movie "The Pajama Game," which was based on Bissel’s book. The musical won several Tony awards.

I had an opportunity to try out the beer at Textile Brewery last weekend, and it was quite tasty.

The co-owner and manager, Carol Olberding, was careful to preserve the history of the building and contents. You may see the movie playing and enjoy a beer in front of an original sewing machine.

So, whether you’re cozying up next to a fire with a good book (perhaps "7 1/2 Cents"), watching the movie or enjoying a cold beer, keep in mind how actions like the walkout affected generations that followed. It’s a great time of year to support our women-owned businesses. Who knows, one of them may just have a movie written about them."
The original building modernised:

History of the building including a photo of the women who went on strike.: https://www.textilebrews.com/history
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Bryan, these historical tidbits are so interesting. (For those who wonder, the article omits to say that Dyersville is in Iowa.)

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you so much Bryan for this valuable history lesson and its connection to the film The Pajama Game. Those great women who went on strike have left their mark in history.

The next time I watch The Pajama Game, I will watch it through the lens of this story that gives
more depth to the experience.

I hope these women are acknowledged on International Women's Day on March 8 - 2020.
Johnny