Doris Day Forum Banners 2017

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
puck
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2017

Unread post by puck »

"Calamity Jane", "Pillow Talk" , "Love me or Leave me", "Midnight Lace" and " The Glass Bottom Boat" are my favorites. But " Moonlight Bay" was my first movie I saw of her, she did overwhelming me with that natural acting. And thank you Bryan, great banners.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Thank you, Puck!

Tea For Two - 1950

There is something to be said for whipping-up musical confections as enjoyable as Tea For Two. It couldn't have been as easy as it looked, but everyone in front of and behind the camera made it seem effortless. It makes me yearn for the bygone era when stars were under contract and studios spent time and money on developing them. There was a high degree of professionalism that audiences could expect and no one broke a sweat to entertain the socks off people.

I love what the New York Times reviewer had to say about Doris and Gordon MacRae in this film:

"The Warner Brothers financed the whole business and if they are interested in rolling up dividends in the future they ought to do something about getting Miss Day and Mr. MacRae together again. These two complement each other like peanut butter and jelly. Their duet of the title song is just wonderful and the same goes for the other tunes that they do singly and in tandem. Besides which, Miss Day can shuffle a graceful pair of legs."

The plot borrowed heavily from the musical play No, No Nanette and it gave Doris a number of wonderful songs to perform. I am particularly fond of the "I Know That You Know" and "I Want To Be Happy" numbers. And her dancing with Gene Nelson was superb.

Special mention goes to the peerless Eve Arden, whose sarcastic line delivery was delightful, and Billy DeWolfe was hilarious as the preening producer whose ego never permitted a lack of talent to stand in his way.

More reviews: http://www.dorisday.net/tea-for-two/

How do other people feel about this film?
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Looking at the ratings (not the votes) of the 39 films of Doris Day, I compiled the list of EXCELLENT RATINGS PERCENTAGES.

Total Number of Individuals Rating = 2564
Total Number of Individuals Using Excellent Rating = 1233

Pillow Talk - 83 - 97%
Calamity Jane - 78 - 89%
Love Me Or Leave Me - 66 - 89%
Lover Come Back - 60 - 86%
The Man Who Knew Too Much - 65 - 83%
The Thrill Of It All - 62 - 81%
Romance On The High Seas - 46- 73%
Teacher's Pet - 52 - 70%
The Glass Bottom Boat - 52 - 69%
Please Don't Eat The Daisies - 37- 67%
The Pajama Game - 55 - 67%
Move Over Darling - 55 - 67%
By The Light Of The Silvery Moon - 38 - 63%
I'll See You In My Dreams - 29 - 63%
Midnight Lace - 40 - 53 %
On Moonlight Bay - 24 - 53%
Young At Heart - 38- 50%
Lullaby Of Broadway - 28 - 50%
Billy Rose's Jumbo - 30 - 49%
With Six You Get Eggroll - 26 - 48%
Send Me No Flowers - 31 - 45%
My Dream Is Yours - 21 - 45%
It Happened To Jane - 26 - 40%
Young Man With A Horn 15 - 36%
That Touch Of Mink - 26 - 35%
Julie - 19 - 33%
Do Not Disturb - 18 - 33%
Tea For Two - 17 - 32%
Storm Warning 15 - 30%
Lucky Me - 13 - 24%
April In Paris - 11 - 22%
The Winning Team - 8 - 20%
It's A Great Feeling - 6 - 17%
West Point Story - 5 - 13%
Tunnel Of Love - 6 - 12%
Where Were You When The Lights Went Out - 6-12%
The Ballad Of Josie - 5 - 11%
Caprice - 7 - 11%
Starlift 3 - 10%

Three other rating categories remain, Average, Good and Poor. The variables in each rating category prompt some interesting perspectives.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Musiclover »

Well said, Michael. I, too, love DD's dancing with Gene Nelson, especially in the "I Know That You Know" number. Nelson was such a fine dancer, but never really got the credit he deserved; he was overshadowed by that other Gene. Besides Doris's performance, the 2 elements of this film I like best are its collection of great songs and its strong supporting cast, S. Z. Sakall and Eve Arden in particular. That pair was just terrific.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

I think Tea for Two should have made the list, it's a good example of the popular musical of the time, championed by stars such as Betty Grable, when people were looking for an escape from the memories of the war years and getting their lives back together.

Johnny, thanks for that poll, very interesting. It's more comprehensive than my poll but there are lots of similarities with many films roughly In the same place. I will compare them more fully, so thanks for doing that.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Tea For Two deserved some votes. It is a bright and breezy musical that is funny, and charming. Doris, Gordon and Gene are full of energy and good will with their songs and dancing.

Tea For Two has a sparkling supporting cast with Eve Arden, S.Z. Sakall and Billy De Wolfe. They heighten the enjoyment of the film.

There are so few musicals made these days but when they are made well, the audience loves them. Two spectacular musicals from the last fifteen years are Moulin Rouge with Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor and La La Land with Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone. Hopefully we will see moe like these.
Johnny

webmaster

From Puck:

Danish and French posters - I don't know who the woman in the French poster is but it ain't Doris! :lol:

jmichael
Honorary Member

Storm Warning - 1951

This film was a notable departure for Doris Day and her fans. It was her first non-singing dramatic role and it was the only film in which her character died. I believe it was filmed in 1949, but WB delayed it until 1951 for reasons that are unclear to me. Maybe someone else can shed some light on that. The other notable aspect was the casting of Doris opposite her childhood idol Ginger Rogers, who played her older sister. They looked so much alike and it was a brilliant stroke of casting.

I've only seen this film once but I thought it was well done. The location shooting added to the realism and the story was tense and unsettling The depiction of small town attitudes about outsiders and the distrust of anyone who is "different" was very convincing. The film also made compelling points about mob mentality and the toxic effects of trying to suppress the truth.

Doris was terrific in her role as a naive wife who eventually faces the ugly facts about her husband and tries to save her sister. I wish WB had found another straight dramatic role for Doris because she had the acting chops to make almost anything convincing.

How do others feel about this unusual film?

Michael

More info: http://www.dorisday.net/storm-warning/
Michael H

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Super banner Bryan, and the previous banners wonderful

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

I agree on all points, Michael. Director Stuart Heisler, who had "nothing but the highest praise for Doris," gave it just the right touch. (Those forum members who live in Southern California probably are familiar with the town of Corona, where the location scenes were shot.)

For whatever reason, Warners was slow to release 3 of DD's early movies after shooting wrapped -- 10 months later for Romance on the High Seas and My Dream Is Yours, and a year later for Storm Warning. I think it's interesting that, at the time of Storm Warning's release, Ginger Rogers was generally considered primarily a dancer (despite that she had won an Oscar for Kitty Foyle) and Doris as primarily a singer -- and yet both of them turned in fine dramatic performances in this picture. I wish they had made more movies together.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Michael and Musiclover for your thoughtful and interesting comments on Storm Warning.

I have watched Storm Warning several times with different individuals. They uniformly expressed surprise on the subject matter of the Ku Klux klan in the film. They agreed it is an underappreciated film. The camera work is creative and moody and enhances the tension.
The work of Steve Cochran is compelling. Doris' role as his sweet and naive wife balances the darkness surrounding the other characters. Ginger and Doris are believable as sisters.

On Sunday morning at 10 a.m. on TCM there is an excellent line-up of film noir. I had hoped to see Storm Warning but it has not yet appeared on the roster. It is rarely seen on television.

Hopefully members of the Doris Day Forum will have the opportunity to see Storm Warning and post their views.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Bryan, could it be Patrice Wymore in the French poster of Tea For Two?
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Love the crisp BW banner which is so flattering to Doris. Even with the hairdo and what she called "that goofy dress," she looks so beautiful. Excellent points by Judy and Johnny on this underrated film. Judy, I had never read the director's comment about Doris before, so thanks for posting that.

I assume that Jack Warner made the decision to cast Doris in this and that he, along with Michael Curtiz, saw her potential beyond the light musical comedies. There have been many negative things said about Mr. Warner over the years, but he must have respected Doris' talent.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Beautiful Storm Warning banner. I find the lighting in the photo striking. Doris clasping Steve's face tenderly while Steve and Ginger exchange intense stares captures the tension and foreshadows the story. Doris' dress works for her character and contrasts beautifully with Ginger's character's dress.
Credit must go to Director Stuart Heisler for filming such a challenging subject as the Ku Klux Klan story in 1949. The screenplay by Daniel Fuchs and Richard Brooks captures the darkness in an ordinary town with ordinary people in Storm Warning.
Daniel Fuchs with Isobel Lennart wrote the Love Me Or Leave Me screenplay.
Johnny

webmaster

Johnny asked, Bryan, could it be Patrice Wymore in the French poster of Tea For Two?
Doesn't look like her either to me, Johnny. I think it was just an attempt at sex-up the movie - artistic license, so to speak.

Like Michael, I've only seen it once, on TV, and thought it very good. Perhaps the fact that it had a depressing, downbeat theme is the reason it seems to be forgotten - even by fans? If Doris and Ginger had made a colour musical together I'm sure it would have made a bigger impression.

Some illustrations from Puck of Doris and Steve Cochran in what look like publicity photos:

The Hollywood Reporter wrote: “A sombre but stirring and thought-provoking story, Storm Warning spotlights two new dramatic stars, Doris Day and Steve Cochran. Cochran is a standout and lovely Doris is very convincing as the loving wife.”

Film Bulletin said, “Every element that went into the filming of “Storm Warning” is of the best calibre. The performances, notably those of Ginger Rogers, Ronald Reagan, Doris Day and Steve Cochran, are superb.”

Newsweek raved about Day’s acting saying, “The surprise of the occasion is the successful casting of the singer, Doris Day in a straight role that calls for considerable dramatic assurance.”
http://www.dorisday.net/storm-warning/

jmichael
Honorary Member

Steve Cochran had a rugged appeal, didn't he?

Great work by the talented Puck. Thanks for sharing her drawings, Bryan.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

The total number of individuals RATING(not votes) the 39 films of Doris Day is 2564.

The number of individuals rating Doris Day Films as GOOD = 755.

This is the breakdown.

Tea For Two - 31 - 58%
Storm Warning 27 - 54%
It Happened To Jane - 34 - 52%
It's A Great Feeling - 18 - 50%
My Dream Is Yours - 23 - 49%
Young Man With A Horn - 20 -48%
Send Me No Flowers - 33 - 48%
That Touch Of Mink - 34 -46%
Lullaby Of Broadway - 25 - 45%
Julie. - 26 - 45%
With Six You Get Eggroll - 23 -43%
Young At Heart - 32 - 42%
Caprice - 30 - 43%
Lucky Me - 22 - 40%
April In Paris -20 - 40%
Midnight Lace - 30 - 40%
Billy Rose's Jumbo - 24 - 39%
West Point Story - 15 - 39%
The Winning Team - 15 - 38%
The Ballad Of Josie - 16 - 36%
On Moonlight Bay - 16 - 35%
Do Not Disturb - 19 - 35%
I'll See You In My Dreams - 16 - 35%
Teacher's Pet - 22 - 30%
Please Don't Eat The Daisies - 16 - 29%
Move Over Darling 20 - 28%
Tunnel Of Love - 14 - 28%
The Glass Bottom Boat - 21 - 28%
By The Light Of The Silvery Moon - 16 - 27%
Romance On The High Seas - 15 - 24%
The Pajama Game - 18 - 22%
Where Were You When The Lights Went Out -
11 - 22%
Starlift - 5 - 17%
The Man Who Knew Too Much - 12 - 15%
The Thrill Of It All 11 -14%
Lover Come Back - 9 - 13%
Calamity Jane - 9 - 10%
Love Me Or Leave Me - 4 - 5%
Pillow Talk - 3 - 3%

Listing Doris Day Film Rating by percentages in the good rating category gives an interesting perspective when comparing them to the excellent category rating percentages.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great Storm Warning banner- Doris and Ginger really looked like sister- I love the film - it is very film noir.

I love the fact too that [as Doris stated] when they began filming on location there were tattered Christmas decorations up in the town and they decided to leave them for the film - adding to the feel of a small run down town.

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Unread post by Tybear2015 »

Great banners Bryan! I love the movie Storm Warning. Doris was awesome in this drama filled film. She is such a fantastic versatile actress. I'm so glad Doris chose to follow her career path in entertainment. She is the very best of the best. I love ❤ Doris!

Tybear

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Bryan- [my view] of forum is looking strange? No forum pic etc?

webmaster

Bryan- [my view] of forum is looking strange? No forum pic etc?

It's just been updated to the latest version, Jas, it should be okay now.

jmichael
Honorary Member

I'm on my iPAD now - still seeing the Storm Warning banner.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Will be moving on with Michael's next film shortly.

A point about the forum, the visitor numbers have been going through the roof recently, I know there are just five people showing at the moment but often I login and see 35 visitors online. The problem with this is that it uses up a lot of bandwidth and it resulted in taking all my websites offline. This is because I am allowed so many 'requests' (page views, searches, etc) per month and this month they started to run out a few days before because of forum visitors

The hosting company made lots of technical suggestion to reduce bandwidth, which I've implemented. I also removed links from dorisday.net homepage. They also suggested I could update to the next level, which is about £48 a month - I don't really want to pay that amount for anonymous users! And we're basically a small group of Doris Day loyalists, aren't we? :)

jmichael
Honorary Member

Very interesting info, Bryan. Agree with the steps you've taken to reduce the volume and manage costs.

I wonder what is driving more visitors to the forum. What I continue to see on social media is the trend of fans creating their own DD pages. There are lots of public and private fan groups where people post photos and make comments. I see many formerly active forum members posting on these sites now, which explains the decrease in active posting here. Maybe some of them are still visiting the forum to see what's going on.

I've said this before but the forum is unique with the amount of historical information it contains, spanning every facet of her career. I don't think there is anything else like it on the internet.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Well said, Michael.

ThIs Doris Day Forum captures not only the factual history of Doris Day's work in films, music, television, animal rights, and fashion, it captures the love of her fans and her amazing inspirational spirit.

Bryan, your hard work and incessant dedication in managing a forum that honours Doris has created a beautiful community for us all. When I visit the Doris Day Forum, it reminds me of being a kid and making the rounds where I dropped in on our neighbors on the block. I always received a friendly greeting and after five or ten minutes I was off to the next Neighbour. It is a joy to check into this forum. Thank you so much.
Johnny