The Glass Bottom Boat

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "The Glass Bottom Boat"?

Poor
No votes
Average
3%
Good
28%
Excellent
69%

Total votes: 75

Johnny
Honorary Member

Re: The Glass Bottom Boat

Unread post by Johnny » 12 Nov 2018, 23:16

Thanks Musiclover!
Sorry about this.

The quotes are now included.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 13 Nov 2018, 08:56

I think Gelb could have been more generous in his remarks.

GBB is a feature length cartoon with real life characters chasing, foiling and outmaneuvering one another in a string of far fetched situations. Director Frank Tashlin excelled at physical comedy and he was known for his provocative visuals. Can anyone possibly forget Jayne Mansfield walking past the milkman in The Girl Can't Help It? Tashlin was also a satirist who loved to poke fun at middle American values and pop culture trends. His background in cartoon animation made him a natural to helm a screwball comedy about America's obsession with spy movies and television series like James Bond and The Man From Uncle. And he found a deft partner in Doris Day who had a gift for making absurd situations believable.

Granted, the storyline is thin and the whole Gizmo thing belongs in a Saturday morning Buck Rogers serial but audiences lapped it up because of Doris Day, Tashlin's direction and the outstanding cast of supporting players. No one disappoints here. I'm glad Doris found one solid comedic romp before she descended into the likes of Where Were You When The Lights Went Out and The Ballad Of Josie.

I give this one 3.5 out of 4.0 stars.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 13 Nov 2018, 09:36

Michael, I agree with you that Gelb could have been more generous in his review of The Glass Bottom Boat.
Many of his criticisms of Doris' films are not directed at Doris but at the screenplays, direction and some of Doris's co-stars. I do like his historical references to the work of the screenwriters and directors. There are many interesting kernels of information.
I saw The Glass Bottom Boat with my father on a sunny afternoon at the Odeon theater in Kingston Ontario. I recall him laughing out loud in the theater, something he rarely did. When we left the theater, he said as he had many times before, Doris Day never disappoints. He loved Doris Day movies and music and really appreciated her talent.

For these golden memories, I will always love The Glass Bottom Boat. It is a funny, charming film.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 13 Nov 2018, 10:07

Love that story about your father, Johnny. I also appreciate the time and energy you put into creating new topics and keeping the discussion going in a lively and informative manner. Kudos to you for all this and much more.

I am actually quite fond of Gelb's book. I bought it years ago and reread it occasionally after watching one of her films.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Musiclover » 13 Nov 2018, 21:25

Appreciate your adding the quote marks, Johnny. I like this film and wanted to be sure it was Gelb's review, not yours, that we were seeing because it does not seem consistent with your usual complimentary style that is so refreshing.