Forum Banners 2019

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Jas1
Honorary Member

Re: Forum Banners 2019

Unread post by Jas1 » 04 Mar 2019, 05:55

Great banner.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 05 Mar 2019, 17:11

Bryan, I definitely love the idea of celebrating a different Doris Day film each month. It gives forum members an opportunity to focus on all aspects of a film and develop a deeper appreciation.

With respect to Send Me No Flowers, the chemistry of Doris Rock and Tony left an indelible impression. Whenever it is shown on TV, I stop everything to watch Paul Lynde sell a cemetery plot to Rock Hudson. I convulse in laughter every time I see it. It never gets tired.

It was enjoyable to see Rock play a hypochondriac. It was such a different role for him and it was definitely his picture. Doris did a skillful job in her knowing and loving reactions to Rock's health complaints. They present as a loving married couple.

The unfortunate weakness in the script was not giving Doris a job or a role that was enhanced. I did not like her appearing dumb.

Overall, I have fond memories of of Send No Flowers.

Thank you Bryan.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 06 Mar 2019, 08:09

I agree with Johnny. The concept of celebrating a different film each month has given the forum a boost.

It would be nice to hear from other members beyond those who comment regularly. I encourage any lurkers out there to join the discussion and let us know what your thoughts are.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 06 Mar 2019, 10:12

WB USA is releasing GBB on BlU RAY March 28.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael H

Ania
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Ania » 06 Mar 2019, 18:47

Fantastic banner from the wonderful movie!💖

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 07 Mar 2019, 16:03

Thank you all!

Forget why Doris is pouting in the mirror here, anyone remember?

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 07 Mar 2019, 18:56

As I recall, "Send Me No Flowers" received mixed reviews from the critics - the first of the Rock-Doris-Tony films not to get rave reviews. I liked "Flowers" a lot, but I didn't love it like I did "Pillow Talk," and (my favorite) "Lover, Come Back." However, there was much to like about the film, and a few scenes were memorable. Doris outside her door battling the groceries in her arms is a hoot, and like Mike D once said, a master class in improv. Director Norman Jewison was so impressed with her' performance, he added more physical comedy scenes for Doris to perform. The scene between Rock and Tony in bed is also very funny. The overall screenplay isn't as witty as that for "Lover, Come Back," but it's still a hell of a good time!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 10 Mar 2019, 17:41

Absolutely wonderful banner from a great movie! 💖💖💖

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 11 Mar 2019, 05:49

Thanks. It's a fun film, I think, Here's an interesting review:

The Sex Comedies of Doris Day and Rock Hudson

Comedian Tony Randall in Send Me No Flowers (1964) – Randall played a large part in the success of the Doris Day / Rock Hudson sex comedies

"In Send Me No Flowers, Day and Hudson’s send-off film, places them in the suburbs, and the only film where they start off married. Hudson plays an intense hypochondria whose mix up with his doctor allows him to believe he is dying. This results in him searching for a new husband for his wife whom he does not believe can survive in the world without him. However, his suspicious behaviour makes her believe that he is having an affair. You may also recognize a popular GIF making the rounds on the internet today where a pretty blonde lady slaps a sleeping man, only to comfort him as soon as he awakens. Yes, that unforgettable piece of comedy is from this film.

The genre of the sex comedy is basically an invention of three star-powered actors (honestly, Tony Randall is so hilarious that he’s played a big role in the success of these films) and their gracious pals of contributors. You don’t need to be an extensive film scholar to see that these films have played a large role in the influence of modern-day romantic comedies. Though Flowers and Lover pale in comparison to the genius of Pillow Talk, they are far superior then most romcoms produced today. When you have star power of this magnitude, it’s no surprise that you can make anything better then it seems. A good soundtrack and bizarre plot helps too!"

https://chinomatography.wordpress.com/2 ... ck-hudson/

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 11 Mar 2019, 07:55

I've said this before but Doris, Rock and Tony deserve credit for making these films so enjoyable. The script, direction, production and supporting cast were important elements too, but a lot of the joy the audience felt came from watching these comedic masters at the peak of their game. And if you doubt me, spend an hour and a half of your time watching Kirk Douglas, Mitzi Gaynor and Thelma Ritter try to make For Love or Money take flight or Shirley Jones and Gig Young struggling to make A Ticklish Affair funny. And then there's Tony Curtis, Debbie Reynolds and Pat Boone under the direction of the great Vincente Minnelli flailing about in the turgid Goodbye, Charlie! Granted, those were all inferior scripts but Doris, Rock and Tony had the Midas touch when it came to light comedy. They could make a marginal film a good one or take a throwaway scene and make it memorable.

Honestly, Doris' biggest sin was making it look so easy.

Michael
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 11 Mar 2019, 12:37

So many scenes in this film really make me laugh, even though I agree that overall its end result isn't as good as "Pillow Talk" or "Lover, Come Back."

Bryan, you asked why Doris was pouting in the mirror. Having just discovered from Rock's doctor that he wasn't dying, she was plotting how to pay him back for lying to her. I love the scene that followed.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 11 Mar 2019, 21:28

In a recent discussion with friends on the comparison of Doris and Rock's film Send Me No Flowers to Pillow Talk and Lover Come Back, the questions that were raised were;
Is it fair to compare Send Me No Flowers with Doris and Rock's two previous romantic comedy films?
Should a comparison be made?
Does Send Me No Flowers stand alone as a comedy on its' own merits?

This comparison is evident in most reviews and appears to label Send Me No Flowers an inferior work. In some sense this seems unfair.

It was generally felt that Send Me Mo Flowers is a truly funny, entertaining film with a great cast.
Doris' role was not as strong as Rock's.

It would be interesting to hear from forum members regarding these questions.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 12 Mar 2019, 09:25

Great banner.

I think it is totally natural to compare all films Doris made with Rock - and while I agree SMNF is a good production [personally] I prefer the other two - script etc.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 13 Mar 2019, 09:28

I don't see how you can avoid comparing the three comedies they starred in.

My thinking is they decided to make Doris and Rock a married couple because they were older and had already done the romantic chase in the first two films. Flowers was based on a stage play so the suburban setting was part of the storyline and it gave Tony Randall another strong supporting role to fit the formula. Considering some of the other alleged comedies that were released in 1964, Send Me No Flowers was one of the better ones in my opinion. It just didn't have the wit, originality or satiric edge of the first two films.

Michael
Michael H

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 13 Mar 2019, 11:23

Doris had a number of romantic rivals in her comedies: Mamie Van Doren in Teacher's Pet: Edie Adams in Lover Come Back, Polly Bergen in Move Over Darling, Maura McGiveney (Claire Hackett) in Do Not Disturb. In Flowers, that part was played by Patricia Barry.

How do others feel about her? How does she compare with the actresses mentioned above? Or was her part so small that it really didn't matter who played it?

Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael H

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 13 Mar 2019, 15:10

Michael - I agree the part was so small it wouldn't have mattered- Polly was the best rival and had the most air time.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 15 Mar 2019, 06:31

Michael said; "It (Send Me No Flowers) just didn't have the wit, originality or satiric edge of the first two films."
I have to respectfully disagree with you there, Michael. I think the plot is highly original and unusual. Perhaps even uncomfortable, dying is not normally something people like to think about or see as entertainment. Yes, I think it's hard not to compare it with the other two but it's worth considering on its own merits. We can think about The Glass Bottom Boat without Do Not Disturb, after all. :)

“The best outing of the trilogy. When viewed by itself and with such supporting stars as Paul Lyne, Hal March and Clint Walker, the film it is just as entertaining as the previous two films.” – BoxOffice Magazine

“Do you suffer from splitting headaches? Is your stomach upset? Are you run down? Does your husband complain of heart flutters and recurring dizzy spells? If so, before seeing a doctor, go to see Send Me No Flowers, the new Doris Day, Rock Hudson movie. This is a pastime which, if taken in one submissive gulp, with maybe a dash of scepticism in a glass of leniency to wash it down, should do more to free the sluggish system of the poisons of hypochondria and set the old laugh organs humming than a medicine cabinet full of pretty pills.
That seems to be the purpose of it – a sort of homoeopathic remedy – to cause you so much pain laughing you forget your other ills. And once this has been accomplished, you should find those other ills have gone away, like the imaginary ills of the hero, which are the cause of all his anguish in this film… It is a beautiful farce situation.” – Bosley Crowther, New York Times

Read more> https://www.dorisday.net/send-me-no-flowers/

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 15 Mar 2019, 07:45

Although, Michael, having just done a search for reviews of Send Me No Flowers, I have to say that the majority of main critics seem to agree with you! :evil:
But then Hitchcock's Vertigo got the thumbs down from critics when it was first released - not that I'm making a comparison! :lol:

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 15 Mar 2019, 08:54

Michael- Patricia Barry in Send Me No Flowers and Claire Hackett make a minimal and forgettable impression. Perhaps it is the fault of the script or poor casting. With all due respect to these actresses, it is difficult to recall any of their film work.

Mamie Van Doren was a popular film sex symbol during the 1950's and 1960's like Jayne Mansfield and Diana Dors. She was mentioned in the popular Canadian 1980's song High School Confidential by Rough Trade.

Edie Adams was a comedienne, and starred in many films such as The Apartment, It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, and The Honey Pot.

She won a Tony award for playing Daisy May in Li'l Abner on Broadway.

Perhaps Polly Bergen had the best known film and television career. She starred in the original Cape Fear with Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum, The Caretakers and Kisses For My President. She won the Emmy award for her performance as Helen Morgan in the 1950's.

Claire Hackett and Patricia Barry had underdeveloped roles in their films.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 15 Mar 2019, 08:56

Reactions to a film, book or television show are subjective. We all bring a certain amount of personal baggage when we react to any artistic endeavor. I like this film but it isn't at the same level as the first two in my opinion. It's commendable that the producers realized they needed to find a different setting and make some adjustments to address the passage of time. After all, some found fault with Lover Come Back for practically duplicating the same formula and setting as Pillow Talk. So I fully appreciate why they opted for something different this time out. The film was successful at the box-office too and it is very entertaining.

Michael
Michael H

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 15 Mar 2019, 10:29

Thanks to Jas and Johnny for your responses. I agree with both of you.

Michael
Michael H

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 16 Mar 2019, 16:32

I love this movie, he is very funny.💖 The banner is great!💖

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 16 Mar 2019, 18:12

Thanks, Ania!

Please keep commenting on the film. Here's a temporary acknowledgement of our topic on Barbra Streisand - thanks to Howard for the artwork.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 16 Mar 2019, 18:29

Bryan, I love your creativity with regard to the art work. It looks super!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 16 Mar 2019, 18:42

Yes, a really nice juxtaposition. Bravo!