Doris Day on Live Radio Shows 40's/50's

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
howard
Special Contributer

Re: Doris Day on Live Radio Shows 40's/50's

Unread post by howard » 12 Feb 2019, 12:08

So much feeling behind DD's great vocal. Really enjoyed it!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 18 Feb 2019, 08:15

Hi all,

Just updated my Live Radio list: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=694&start=100

Found out more information about some One Night Stand Shows with the book from Charles Garrod and finally received my Sounds Of Yesteryear cd off One Night Stand with Les Brown.

P

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 23 Apr 2019, 13:07

Hi again,

DDAF has a new rare Doris Day cd for sale. This time songs from 1939 - 1950. Hope it will be available in The Netherlands soon… Love to hear a few of these rarer tunes.

https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50866/t/ ... m_KEY=2119

Doris Day - Early Day - Rare Songs From The Radio - 1939-1950
1. Sentimental Journey
2. Little Sir Echo - Barney Rapp
3. I'm Happy About The Whole Thing - Barney Rapp
4. The Joint Is Really Jumpin' Down At Carnegie Hall
5. Salt Water Cowboy (A United States Marine) - Les Brown?
6. Take Me In Your Arms
7. Easy Street - Les Brown
8. A Wonderful Winter - Les Brown
9. Along The Navajo Trail - Les Brown
10. I Wish I Knew
11. There's No Business Like Show Business - Frank Sinatra
12. Sunshine Cake - Bob Hope
13. Slippin' Around - Jimmy Wakely
14. My Darling, My Darling
15. Hair Of Gold, Eyes Of Blue
16. A Little Bird Told Me
17. It's Too Soon To Know
18. Buttons And Bows
19. Havin' A Wonderful Wish (Time You Were Here)
20. Dear Hearts And Gentle People
21. Happy Times
22. Never Again
23. I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine
24. Saving Bond Promoting Spot

RobertOClare
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by RobertOClare » 23 Apr 2019, 15:29

Hi there!

I was in Carmel for the birthday celebrations and bought a copy of this CD from the DDAF sales desk. It's indeed a great CD, especially for those who have all the main Doris Day tracks, and are seeking something out of the ordinary.

For example, the first track 'Sentimental Journey' is not the studio recording as generally released. This one is from a V-Disc (V-Disc 349-A October 2,1944) and therefore one month earlier than the general release. If, like me, you are not from the USA and have no idea what a V-Disc is, the notes with the CD explain all. 'V-Discs or Victory Discs were 12-inch, 78 RPM vinyl records recorded expressly for military personnel abroad as a means of boosting morale for soldiers. These were not available to the general public, and were intended to be destroyed as part of the agreement with the American Federation of Musicians, who were on a lengthy strike which prevented normal recordings from being made (except film soundtracks)'. The strike ended in November 1944 and Les Brown returned to the studio with Doris to record the version for a commercial audience.

The CD notes are very interesting and informative and contain some lovely photos of a (very) young Doris, which I'll leave you to discover for yourselves if/when you decide to buy a copy.

As a final teaser, there is a surprise at the very end of the CD. Just keep listening after track 24 and you'll hear what I mean. There's a clue somewhere in the CD notes - see if you can find it before you play the CD!!

Enjoy!!

All the best from Ireland - Robert
"If you haven't fallen in love with Doris Day, there's something wrong with your heart"

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 24 Apr 2019, 10:17

Just ordered mine. Looking forward to it!
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 24 Apr 2019, 11:14

Thanks for the feedback, Robert - and the thumbs-up for the CD.

I didn't know what a V-Disk was, so thanks also for explaining that. Seems a shame they were ordered to be destroyed - obviously, the American Federation of Musicians wasn't into recycling! :)

Welcome to the Forum - I think the first two posts are automatically held to prevent spam but after that, there are no restrictions. Hope to see you post often!

Regards, Bryan
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

RobertOClare

Unread post by RobertOClare » 24 Apr 2019, 13:46

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the welcome. I've been meaning to post something for a while now, but only just got back into the swing of things after my trip to California. I hope to add some information about the Michael Feinstein concert under the relevant heading.

Regards,

Robert
"If you haven't fallen in love with Doris Day, there's something wrong with your heart"

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 24 Apr 2019, 17:43

Welcome to the Doris Day Forum Robert. It is a very special and enjoyable place to spend time and share information about Doris' films, songs, television and animal advocacy work.

Looking forward to your posts on your visit to Carmel.
Johnny

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 26 Apr 2019, 10:08

Hello Robert,

Welcome to the forum, this is a fine place to be among Doris Day fans.
Hope to hear some stories from your trip to Carmel and please share other Doris Day stories/photo's/music, if you like to do so!!!

Enjoy your stay,

P

RobertOClare

Unread post by RobertOClare » 26 Apr 2019, 14:29

Hello Johnny & Peter,

Thank you for your welcome! I'm glad I discovered this forum and I'm looking forward to sharing our love for Doris. For me this was a particularly special year in Carmel, as I was able to go with the other fans to wave to Doris and wish her a Happy Birthday. To see her sitting there on her balcony was a moment I will always treasure.

I'll post some details of my experiences under the 97th Birthday topic as soon as possible, and try to get a link to a couple more video clips of the Michael Feinstein concert that I took. I'm afraid the picture quality might not be that good, but the sound should be OK.

Regards,

Robert

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 26 Apr 2019, 18:24

Greetings Robert. What a grand entrance you made when joining DDWF with your introducing us to the new CD you purchased--Doris Day - Early DAY. Included in the new CD are songs few of us had ever known to be Doris Day recordings. Item #5 was familiar, but it has been very elusive, but now thanks to you, we can look forward to hearing the song. There are nine other songs that are surprises to me. They are as follows: #12-Sunshine Cake; #13-Slippin' Around (Jimmy Wakely); #16-A Little Bird Told Me; #18- Buttons and Bows; #19-Havin' A Wonderful Wish; #20-Dear Hearts and Gentle People; #21-Happy Times; #22-Never Again; and #23-I Dont' Care If the Sun Don't Shine. I believe most of these songs originated from the Bob Hope Radio Shows, but am not sure. I ordered a copy of the CD and am eager to receive it. Robert, in the meantime could you provide information from the liner notes as to the origins of these nine songs? Thank you, and welcome to our community. You made my day a Happy Day, Texas Gonzalo.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 27 Apr 2019, 04:06

Hi Texas,

Around for a while now are:
1949 – 05 – 03 The Bob Hope - Havin' A Wonderful Wish. Is around for a few years now, and shared on the forum too. The complete broadcast is to be found online.
1948 – 11 – 02 The Bob Hope Show - Buttons And Bows. I found it years back and shared it here on the forum.
194?/5? Sunshine Cake - Is around on the forum. I think it's shared by Howard, not sure about the date. Haven't found information about that song jet. Maybe the information will be on the cd.

P

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 27 Apr 2019, 10:02

Peter, thank your for the timely infomation on the new Doris Day CD. Sorry I missed the entries that were already part of your postings. The one song that really intriques me is Slippin' Around (Jimmy Wakley). Jimmy Wakely was a very popular country and western singer who recorded that particular song. The one recording Doris made with a similar title was "I'll Never Slip Around Again." and that might be getting confused with the mystery title. But we will all soon know about that title and the other great songs included in the CD. Again thank you for the information and for all you do and accomplish when sharing your knowledge about Doris Day music. Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 29 Apr 2019, 20:23

Today I received in the mail my copy of EARLY DAY. The songs are a welcomed addition to any Doris Day record enthusiast. The nine songs I had previously mentioned as unknown in origin were indeed from The Bob Hope Radio Shows. The rarest was "Slippin' Around" with Jimmy Walkely." Doris gives the western themed song the full treatment as she accompanies Jimmy Wakely in the song. Noteworthy in the collection is "Salt Water Cowboy' which Doris Day sings with the Les Brown Orchestra. The 1944 songs was noted in the liner notes as originating from an unknown radio broadcast. The liner notes include the dates of the particular venue from where the songs originated. The V-Disc version of "Sentimental Journey" appears to be a different version from the commerical release. The tempo is a bit slower than the commercial version. The audio in the two Barney Rapp songs from 1939 is exceptionally good. The audio quality on some of the songs is average, but we have to consider the age of the song original sources. However, this does not distract from the importance of these rare and historical recordings. More details on all the CD songs are now included in The Doris Day Definitive Discography, including the surprise song to which RobertOClare alluded. Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 30 Apr 2019, 05:06

Hi Texas,

Thank you for updating the Doris Day discography, always a thrill to look through your enormous work. Love to hear the new cd. Found online an AFRS Doris Day transcription disc. I think it's the second half from The Doris Day show. Hope everything works out well, bought the disc and hope it will be transferred soon to mp3 file. Maybe we find something new. And if not, we know a little bit more about AFRS numbering, that keeps a little mysterie to me.

P

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 30 Apr 2019, 10:34

Peter, you are welcome. Here's another side note on the new Doris Day CD. The fourth song on the disc is "The Joint Is Really Jumpin' Down At Carnegie Hall." This track originated from the WLW radio program "The Lion's Roar," in 1943. This is the first recording I know about which had its origins during the time Doris Day sang at WLW radio. There are more Doris Day songs from the "Moon River" and "WLW On Parade" radio shows, but to date they have not sufaced. Enjoy, and Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 30 Apr 2019, 11:38

Thank you Texas and Peter for all this updated information on Doris' recording career. It is fascinating. I really enjoy hearing new information about Doris' songs. Her voice is a gift from heaven for us all.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 04 May 2019, 15:03

Thanks you so much Bryan and Peter for terrific links that have so many gems and insights.

I can't find it now, but I listened to Jonathan Schwartz's radio interview with Doris that was fascinating. Doris answered the questions sincerely and thoughtfully. Three of Doris' songs were interspersed throughout the interview. I especially liked hearing Doris speak about her childhood and her love of dancing as well as her relationship with her father. Her father wanted her to learn how to play the piano but she loved dancing more.

It is clear that Doris came from a loving family. The warmth and soothing quality in her voice made it a pleasure to hear. Doris speaks with a humility that is rare amongst celebrities. Her love of the work is abundantly clear.

If anyone finds this interview again, please post it. I would love to listen to it again.

All these interviews are historical treasures and a joy to hear.

Thanks again.
Johnny

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 04 May 2019, 21:48

Johnny, the interview is still posted in the DDWF. The interview is featured under the caption "Books About Doris Day." After you enter the site, the first thread "Leonard Maltin's Comments About Doris Day" includes the entire interview. Enjoy again, and Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 11 May 2019, 08:07

Thank you so much Texas!

I really enjoy the interviews and find there are so many moments that stay with me. I love hearing Doris' mellow voice and many recollections. The interviews are well worth listening to again.
Johnny

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 14 May 2019, 12:37

Hi all,

A Day after the dead of our beloved Doris, my friend Walden Hughes send me a link to this page:
https://pastdaily.com/2019/05/13/doris- ... e-edition/
1946-02-15 Barry Gray’s Nightclub - Doris Day and other guests.

1946 – 02 – 05 Barry Gray's Nightclub (WOR) ®
Star: Barry Gray
With: Maurice Rocco, Doris Day, Jack Leonard, Judels Weaver
1. Ain't Misbehavin' (intro)
2. Maurice Rocco
3. Begin The Beguine - Maurice Rocco
4. I Can See It Your Way - Doris Day#
5. More Than You Know - Doris Day#
6. September Song - Jack Leonard
7. I'll Be Yours - Jack Leonard
8. Instrumental

Enjoy,

P

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 14 May 2019, 22:35

Peter, thank you for posting such a rare musical treasure which features two previously unknown songs by Doris Day. It was such a treat to hear Miss Day singing live from WOR Radio in New York. Particularly impressive was her rendition of "More Than You Know." Her sultry phrasing of the lyrics was phenomenal. These two songs are now part of The Definitive Doris Day Discography thanks to you. Thank you again. Texas Gonzalo

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 15 May 2019, 15:02

Her speaking voice still contained part of a southern accent at that time. Cute.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 18 May 2019, 10:55

Hi Judy,

Thank you for replying!
Got the Early Day cd. Rare songs indeed. Sound quality of the older songs is good, the most Bob Hope songs are not so good. Love to know where they are taken off? Transcription records or old cassettes or so??? But nice to have some of the rarer Bob Hope work. Maybe one day I will make it to The Library Of Congress and record all the missing Doris Day songs or the complete episodes of The Bob Hope Show... Que sera, sera...

Love to do it by the way...

Peter

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 19 May 2019, 12:16

Peter! Thanks so much for posting the link to that rare Barry Gray radio program. It's interesting to note that when he asked her "What are your plans for the future?," she replied "I'd like to do a movie." Interesting!
Like Irene Dunne done.