Doris Day has died

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Doris Day has died

Unread post by webmaster » 13 May 2019, 09:15

What a shock! I hardly know what to say :(

What a sad day!

I need time to think!
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day has died

Unread post by Jas1 » 13 May 2019, 09:38

Me too Bryan - so I won't say too much for now- am too emotional and in work - not a good combination!

I will say we have to take a leaf out of the lady's wonderful book and look at the positive, the life, the legacy - the joy she gave and will continue to give for generations.

Ironic that Doris started to "check out" on Mother's Day [in USA] - I too believe this is not the end and Doris will be with Terry - if nothing else, that makes me feel a bit better for now.

Time to say goodnight...!

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus » 13 May 2019, 10:06

Goodbye, Doris.

I hope you are in a better place now and back with Terry and all your four-leggers you loved so much.

Thank you for all the joy you brought to me and millions of other people, and also for everything you have done to help the animals in this cruel and selfish world.

Your legacy will live on!

R.I.P. :-(
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

Pedro
Forum Friend

Unread post by Pedro » 13 May 2019, 10:28

Just got an email at work saying this sad news and cannot work anymore.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 13 May 2019, 10:37

Yes, Goodby dear Doris, your memory and legacy will live on. Thank you for all the joy you brought us.

I've shed a few tears but I still feel deeply sad. Doris has been a friend to me all my life, I feel, and has seen me through many different stages since I was about 11 years old. She was a substitute mother, big sister, friend, and companion. I can't believe she's gone. I thought she'd live forever - or at least into her hundreds.

Goodbye to a wonderful woman, the world seems a smaller place without her. But she had a long and mostly happy life, she was loved and admired by millions. She had the gift of being able to cope with loss and unhappiness without becoming bitter and was able - and ready and willing - to care for others - not forgetting the animals - even when things weren't going well for her.

Someone was just asked on TV, "Which of today's stars would you say was most like her?" To which the reply came, "I'm sorry but I don't think anyone today is like her. She could sing, dance, act, play comedy, drama and break your heart in some of her films and songs. There's no one like that today." How true.

Goodbye for now, dearest Doris.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck » 13 May 2019, 10:41

So sad to hear this, the world lost a great person, a great, wonderful woman, a great actress, rest in peace dear Doris, you will be in our heart, forever

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 13 May 2019, 10:42

Feeling very sad at hearing the news. Doris may be gone, but we'll always have her music and movies to enjoy. What a legacy she has left behind - Us two leggers and the four leggers were blessed to have had her in their lives. She certainly did make the world a better place!
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 13 May 2019, 11:07

DayDreamer
Forum Friend

Unread post by DayDreamer » 13 May 2019, 11:23

After coming home from work, I saw that a friend had sent me his condolences without providing any further details. But I immediately knew what had happened.

This is quite a shock. Some of you guys might remember my nickname from years ago, because I haven't been here for a while:
Last visit was: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:54 pm
So the last time was on her 92nd birthday, apparently (although at the time we thought it was her 90th). Good to see that this forum still exists. Though still a fan, Doris wasn't as important in my life anymore the past couple of years as she was before, when I watched all of her movies for the first time. So I stopped visiting the forum, but Doris always kept that special little place in my heart.

I will miss you, sweet Doris. Thank you for leaving us this wonderful legacy.
Would you please get off this line!

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 13 May 2019, 12:14

Hi all,

Thank you for responding on the loss of our Doris. I will miss her but wont forget her. She was an important part of my life, and maybe on another level, she will be. She's with Terry and her mom now. Hope her legacy will continue...

Much love to all of you,

P

RobertOClare

Unread post by RobertOClare » 13 May 2019, 12:26

I just received the email that Bob Bashara has sent to those on the DDAF mailing list and am so sad. It was only just over a month ago that I was in Carmel celebrating her 97th birthday. What a great event it was and I'm sure Doris would have really enjoyed it too, had she been able to be there. When Michael Feinstein told us he had spent the afternoon with her, I think he also brought something of her into the auditorium. The atmosphere certainly changed.

The following day I was so lucky to be in the party that went to the Quail Lodge Golf Club to sing Happy Birthday to her. After all these years, I finally got to see her in person - a moment I shall cherish for the rest of my life. I'd like to share a photo that I took at that moment, plus two enlargements

https://www.flickr.com/photos/165314624 ... ed-friend/

Thanks for all the wonderful memories dear Doris, and I hope you meet up with your old pal Rock.

All my love - Robert
"If you haven't fallen in love with Doris Day, there's something wrong with your heart"

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 13 May 2019, 12:27

Upon hearing this morning about Doris Day's passing, it seemed unbelievable.

I recalled a comforting quote from Doris' friend Kaye Ballad from the epilogue in Doris Day, Her Own Story: As Kaye and Paul Lynde were leaving a party at Gus Schirmer's house that was attended by Doris and author A.E. Hotchner, Kaye said, "Oh, that Clara Bixby", she said, " You know something--I think God did a little dance around her when she was born".

In David Kaufman's book on Doris, it states" Day's strong conviction in eternal life leaves no room for funerals--or farewells of any sort." She did not attend her son Terry's memorial at the Carmel Mission on December 7 -2004. Doris' grief for the loss of Terry is described as "inconsolable".

As a tribute to Doris this passage from (1 Corinthians 13:4-8a ) comes to mind.:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy. It does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking. It is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes. always perseveres. Love never fails.

As Doris Day Forum members and countless fans we can honour Doris by continuing to be kind hearted and sharing her bountiful legacy of heartfelt songs and authentic film work. Even more importantly, we can help animals in need and the Doris Day Animal Foundation.

Another way to honour Doris is to go on twitter, you can go to (@DDAnimalLeague) and retweet posts of support for animals. These posts recognize endangered animals, tips to help your pets, and government legislation affecting animals and so much more. Most posts occur Monday through Friday.

A special word to Bryan: Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your incomparable leadership work in managing the Doris Day Forum that has honoured Doris and her work for the last fifteen years. You have created a legacy for Doris' work in music, film and advocacy for animals. You have invited members to share their love for Doris. I can't think of a more important tribute than this as a gift for Doris. I hope this forum can continue to celebrate Doris.

Today I am playing Doris' albums. Some of the albums I have chosen are: You'll Never Walk Alone, My Heart, Day By Day, Day BY Night, Duet -Doris Day and Andre Previn and The Love Album. I will end the sessions with Sentimental Journey.

I am so thankful for the gift of Doris Day that has given us a lifetime of joy, inspiration and magic . Doris will continue to live within all who love her. She will always be with us. We must remain thankful. Doris now continues to sing with the angels.

The beautiful classic images of Doris that will stay with me are the photos from Midnight Lace.

Rest in Love.

I hope this post gives some comfort to Doris Day Forum members.
Johnny

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 13 May 2019, 12:28

No words are inadequate to express the my sadness...

Bryan, thank you for everything, I hope that our forum will continue to work and praise the name of the great actress Doris Day! πŸ’–πŸ’–Thank you all! πŸ’–πŸ’–

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORISβ™₯

β€œYou haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 13 May 2019, 13:24

Ania - that is beautiful tribute.

Bryan = you made me cry [again]!

All the beautiful words are precious to read. Thank you all.

Bryan - you bring us all together thank you deeply.

I have been quite inundated with personal texts and messages for anyone who knows anything about me knows what Doris means to me.

A very strange day - I don't know how I feel - trying to cling to the positives - a wonderful life and wonderful legacy and she gave so much - I adore her.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan » 13 May 2019, 13:42

Baltimore Net Radio ( mybnr.com ) pays tribute to DORIS DAY

Please join us for a very special tribute to screen legend and singer, DORIS DAY on Friday, May 17th starting at 3pm EST. We invite you to call in your memories of Doris to share with our worldwide audience. We will play your calls throughout the show in memory of β€œThe Girl Next Door.” God bless Doris Day! In the US, call toll free: 877-577-2630, Option 3
Outside the US, call: 540-288-4001, Option 3
"The BEST is yet to come."

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan » 13 May 2019, 13:51

God bless dear Doris. I had hoped this day would never come to be. Doris has been a huge part of my life ever since I was 9 years old. You couldn't ask for a better role model for a young girl. She inspired me to do so many things and I knew one day I wanted to meet her. Thanks to some dear friends, Eileen and Hilda, I had the opportunity to meet her in 1967, moved to Los Angeles and a couple years later, I WON THE LOTTERY...Doris asked me to work for her!!!! Doris has been an inspiration to me all my life. God bless her - I sure do miss her, but know she is in a much better place now with Terry, her Mom, and other dear friends...RIP dear Clara!!!!
"The BEST is yet to come."

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 13 May 2019, 15:30

Documentary about her now on BBC4.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 13 May 2019, 15:47

A very sad day, I got a text message from my sister who lives in Denmark, that Doris is dead :( My mother died in April, and now Doris, I just cry, I feel so sad ...

Unforgettable films and wonderful songs remain!

πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–βŠ°πŸŒΈβŠ±βŠ°πŸŒΈβŠ±βŠ°πŸŒΈβŠ±βŠ°πŸŒΈβŠ±πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–

Greetings from Poland! Ania
I LOVE YOU DORISβ™₯

β€œYou haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 13 May 2019, 15:55

I know how you all feel. It's only just over a month ago on her birthday that she looked well and happy.

With Jackie Joseph

With Michael Feinstein

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus » 13 May 2019, 16:37

Wonderful pictures - She still had her beautiflu smile.

I am glad that she was doing fine almost right up to the end apparently didn't have to suffer.

Bryan, thanks for giving us this platform to come together.
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

jbeane
Forum Friend

Unread post by jbeane » 13 May 2019, 16:47

My previous post must be lost and I'm not sure what all it said but I do know that it said - thank you Bryan and everyone on the forum for keeping Doris alive in our hearts. I hope that music goes on forever.
Rest in Peace and Love Doris,
Jill
"Someone drops a sigh and down you tumble"

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 13 May 2019, 16:52

A sad pleasure. Marion - and thank you too, Jill - and everyone on here.

A few of the many tributes:

Paul McCartney: "'So sad to hear of Doris Day passing away. She was a true star in more ways than one. I had the privilege of hanging out with her on a few occasions. Visiting her in her Californian home was like going to an animal sanctuary where her many dogs were taken care of in splendid style. She had a heart of gold and was a very funny lady who I shared many laughs with. Her films like 'Calamity Jane', 'Move Over, Darling' and many others were all incredible and her acting and singing always hit the mark. I will miss her but will always remember her twinkling smile and infectious laugh as well as the many great songs and movies she gave us. God bless Doris."

CNN: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/13/ente ... index.html

Wahington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ob ... ce70f549fc

People: https://people.com/movies/doris-day-see ... od-legend/

Becky
Forum Friend

Unread post by Becky » 13 May 2019, 17:09

Dropping in to pay my respects for a Star I treasured

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 13 May 2019, 17:59

All welcome, Becky.

Doris is on the front page of the vast majority of UK newspapers tomorrow and all over the TV tonight - a fitting tribute to a great star. She was always very popular here.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/wo ... e-16268151

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 13 May 2019, 18:29

God is doing another little dance around Clara Bixby today.

To all who loved and adored her, I share your grief and mourn her passing with you, while at the same time, I feel tremendous gratitude for the gifts she gave us. I know the four leggers on the other side are surrounding her with love and kisses.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."