Doris Day has died

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris Day has died

Unread post by webmaster » 18 May 2019, 18:43

I'm sure she won't mind, Robert - you're only sharing it with people who love her,
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

RobertOClare

Unread post by RobertOClare » 19 May 2019, 06:46

How's this for a really touching photo of Doris and Michael Feinstein taken by Jackie Joseph when they visited her on Saturday afternoon 30 March? She had just enjoyed listening to Michael singing songs for her such as "My Romance" and "Life's just a bowl of cherries".

In Michael's words, “She was encouraging me and snapping her fingers and nodding and swaying and kept saying, ‘more’ and ‘more'. It was the most thrilling command performance I’ve ever given, and I’ve performed for presidents and royalty, but performing for her was truly thrilling.”

No doubt she had some happy memories too whilst he was singing :)
"If you haven't fallen in love with Doris Day, there's something wrong with your heart"

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 19 May 2019, 08:20

Truly fabulous and so special.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 19 May 2019, 08:37

It has a touching symmetry, doesn't it?

She was surrounded by music, love, and positivity near the end and serenaded by someone who adored her.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 19 May 2019, 10:10

Lovely photo, Robert, thanks for posting it.

''Doris Day mourned by celebrities following her death:
'She was the world’s sweetheart'

Erin Jensen and Maeve McDermott USA TODAY

Doris Day in a recording studio, in an undated photo. Sony Music Archives

"The passing of legendary actress/singer Doris Day struck the entertainment community and her fellow celebrities. The "That Touch of Mink" actress died early Monday at her home in Carmel, California. She was 97.

Paul McCartney grieved the star in a statement shared to his website, calling her "a true star in more ways than one." "I had the privilege of hanging out with her on a few occasions," the musician said in his statement. "Visiting her in her Californian home was like going to an animal sanctuary where her many dogs were taken care of in splendid style. She had a heart of gold and was a very funny lady who I shared many laughs with." "I will miss her but will always remember her twinkling smile and infectious laugh as well as the many great songs and movies she gave us," he added. "God bless Doris."

Carl Reiner said he had recently reached out to Day, the female lead of the 1963 film he wrote, "The Thrill of It All." "Just a week ago, I contacted her and welcomed her to the 97 Year Actor's Club."

Goldie Hawn saw Day as a bright light. "The great Doris Day left us and took a piece of the sun with her," she tweeted. "May she rest peacefully."

"For those of us in my generation, Doris Day was synonymous with Hollywood icon," wrote George Takei. "She would no doubt remind us, upon this day of her passing, 'Que sera sera,' but we will miss her dearly anyway. Rest now in our hearts forever, Ms. Day."

The Humane Society of the United States remembered Day with a statement reflecting on her decades of animal activism, announcing the creation of a new fund in her honor. "With the passing of legendary actress, singer and animal advocate Doris Day, the world has lost a generous and kind soul," wrote Kitty Block, the organization's CEO and president. "While I am mourning the loss of a woman whose grace, talent and compassion enriched my life and the lives of so many others, I want to celebrate the amazing life that Doris led and memorialize her work for animals."

"Continuing her legacy of protecting animals, the Humane Society of the United States is creating the Doris Day Memorial Fund to support the ongoing efforts to protect the animals she cared for so deeply. Contributions will support programs to end horse slaughter and cosmetics testing on animals, to stop puppy mills, to spay and neuter pets, and to fund all of the organization’s animal protection efforts."

The Doris Day Animal League, founded in 1987, posted a statement to its Facebook page. "Doris was truly a voice for the voiceless among us, and one of the world's most-loved and most-honored women–a bright and beautiful champion for the cause of animal welfare, and a dear, dear friend to us all," the statement read. "As you remember Doris today, give a thought to the animals she cared for so deeply."

Similarly, PETA Senior Vice President Lisa Lange also mourned her passing while remembering Day's love for animals. "Doris Day was a silver screen and singing legend, but PETA will always remember her for her most important role: animal champion," the Lange said in a statement issued to USA TODAY. "She personally rescued, fostered, and found loving homes for hundreds of animals; founded an organization to stop animal homelessness through spaying and neutering; and formed the Doris Day Animal League, which joined PETA in opposing cruel chemical tests on animals. Day was a warm, kind, generous person, and she will be missed by all of us here at PETA."

Among the many other celebrities commemorating Day's life and legacy was William Shatner, who offered his condolences to Day's relatives. "She was the World’s Sweetheart and beloved by all," he wrote.

Seth MacFarlane praised Day as a "great Hollywood talent," and encouraged his followers to "appreciate" her talents in a clip shared from the 1955 movie "Love Me or Leave Me."

"The one, the only, the woman who inspired so much of what I do... Doris Day I love you, my Calamity Jane," Stella McCartney wrote on Twitter. "An iconic woman who I was hugely honoured to meet and share precious moments with. Rest in peace x"

Sharing a GIF of the star, Antonio Banderas expressed his gratitude: "Thank you for your talent."

The Academy remembered Day's "humor, extraordinary talent and kind heart."

"She was one of a kind," Katie Couric posted, reflecting on the "Pillow Talk" star.

Nina Garcia, Elle's editor in chief, shared a quote attributed to Day.

" 'I like joy; I want to be joyous; I want to have fun on the set; I want to wear beautiful clothes and look pretty. I want to smile, and I want to make people laugh. And that's all I want. I like it. I like being happy. I want to make others happy,' " Garcia tweeted. "RIP Doris Day."

Luke Evans bid Day farewell, writing on Twitter, "Goodbye Doris Day, there was only one of you! I have always loved your voice and the beautiful songs you made eternal. RIP."

Piers Morgan shared kind words for Day: "Fabulous life, fabulous star, fabulous woman."

Contributing: Jayme Deerwester
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/peop ... 187170001/

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 19 May 2019, 11:20

Thank you Bryan for these memorial posts for Doris.

I especially loved Paul and Stella Mc Cartney's tributes.
Johnny

RobertOClare

Unread post by RobertOClare » 19 May 2019, 11:43

Having listened to the BBC Radio 2 tribute to Doris this morning, I can really recommend it. It consists of a mix of parts of the Michael Ball interview with Doris, a number of her songs, plus some short sound clips from a couple of her films. The songs are:

The Deadwood Stage
Sentimental Journey
Life is just a bowl of cherries
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps
Put 'em in a box
It's Magic
Secret Love
Love me or leave me
Que Sera, Sera
Pillow Talk
Move over darling

The broadcast will be available for another 29 days. Here's a repeat of the direct link:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005j5v

I wish it could have been longer, there's so much they didn't talk about.

Robert
"If you haven't fallen in love with Doris Day, there's something wrong with your heart"

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 19 May 2019, 13:22

Here's a lovely quote from film critic Leonard Maltin:

"I’m convinced that Doris Day was put on this earth to make us happy. When you see her face, when you hear her voice—you can’t help but smile. How many people have that effect on the public decade after decade? She was a natural talent who made everything she did look easy."
Like Irene Dunne done.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 19 May 2019, 13:48

Hi all,

Came across this article with probably one of the last letters/photo's Doris has signed.
https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/doris-day- ... -1-6050773

Loved the story!

P

RobertOClare

Unread post by RobertOClare » 19 May 2019, 14:54

Howard,
Yes, that quote is indeed lovely, and so true. It is her legacy to us that, even though she is no longer here in body, her spirit lives on through her films and music. Just watch or listen, and the happiness - I might even say joy - that she so wanted people to feel is right there, and I believe always will be. You only have to watch 'Romance on the High Seas', for example. There is enough happiness, energy and delight in that film to last you a lifetime. How blessed we are.

Peter,
A wonderful story that shows her typical determination not to let someone down, and also to bring them happiness. What a struggle it must have been for her to write just those few words. What an inspiration.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 19 May 2019, 18:03

Lovely story, Peter, and agree with Robert that it 'shows her typical determination not to let someone down, and also to bring them happiness'. That was Doris, she always took her fans seriously and tried as much as she could to respond to each one.

I love this photo that Peter posted, which I've removed a numbers-stamp from:

The young Doris (circa Calamity Jane?) Sigh.

Still missing her. :(

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan » 19 May 2019, 18:30

Just wanted to let everyone know that Baltimore Net Radio's TRIBUTE TO DORIS DAY will be repeated tonight, Sunday, at 9pm Eastern Time on www.mybnr.com we are a worldwide internet radio station and we LOVE DORIS DAY!!!!
Among some of celebrities who called in a memory are: Jackie Joseph, Les Brown, Jr., Earl Holliman, Dick Carlson, Billy Gray, Brenda Lee, Connie Francis...also, you will hear from two special ladies who also were good friends and who worked with Doris - Sheila and Phyllis. Sit back and relax and enjoy our special tribute to our dear Doris. God bless her....
"The BEST is yet to come."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 19 May 2019, 20:15

Thank you so much Robert for the exquisite photo of Doris and Michael Feinstein and the background story. I am so glad to know Doris had such a joyful experience and was surrounded by love.
Johnny

RobertOClare

Unread post by RobertOClare » 20 May 2019, 06:09

Johnny,
Your welcome. I'm glad you liked the photo as much as I did. It's not very often you see a shot of Doris that is so completely natural. Jackie did very well to take it just at the right moment! The article I got it from is in 'People - Now', but most of the information is already on here from other sources. If you'd like to read it all, I can find the link for you.
Robert

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 20 May 2019, 10:50

Quote from Kim Novak:

"I want to wish a sad, yet fond farewell to a woman whom I have always greatly admired. Doris Day was a fine person who lived a full life honorably. We always seemed to have a lot in common. After leaving Hollywood, we both chose to make our home on the California central coast—both of us deciding to share our new lifestyles with many of the same four-legged creatures we loved so much. Fly free and in peace, dear friend. May our paths cross again!"
Like Irene Dunne done.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 20 May 2019, 10:53

Mary Anne, Sorry I missed the broadcast. Do you remember the quotes from Connie Francis, Brenda Lee, Billy Gray, Les Brown, Jr. and Earl Holliman?
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 20 May 2019, 11:24

Howard, that is a great quote=

MaryAnn- yes, would love to hear more re- what the likes of Connie Francis said.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 20 May 2019, 12:08

Flowers placed on Doris Day's Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame following the news of her death.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 20 May 2019, 13:15

Can you believe this?

In an otherwise reasonable article, Information Cradle posts this:

Doris Day Photos

Doris Day

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://informationcradle.com/usa/doris-day/

RobertOClare

Unread post by RobertOClare » 20 May 2019, 13:52

Shocking :o I don't think even the best makeup artist in Hollywood could make our Doris look like that!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 20 May 2019, 14:15

That made me laugh Bryan. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 20 May 2019, 14:44

With thousands of Doris Day photos appearing in the news around the world on May 13, 2019, it seems inconceivable that this publication (Information Cradle) would make a gross mistake in not posting an authentic photo of Doris Day.

I looked for the name of the reporter who wrote the article and could not find one. An apology should be issued by Information Cradle to the woman in the photo, the Doris Day Foundation and to Doris Day fans.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 20 May 2019, 14:51

Thank you Peter for the post of the letter from Suffolk England and Doris' signed photo for the man in Harleston House care center. It is such a beautiful moving story. Doris' kindness lives on.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 20 May 2019, 14:55

Thank you Bryan for this heartfelt banner tribute to Doris. Doris' smile lit up our lives and out world.

We will miss Doris always.
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 21 May 2019, 03:30

Thanks, Johnny!
Jas said, "That made me laugh Bryan". :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have to agree, Jas! :lol:

Can you believe this?
In an otherwise reasonable article, informationcradle.com/usa/doris-day/ posted this!

Doris Day Photos

Doris Day

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: