Chatting about Doris...

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Chatting about Doris...

Unread post by webmaster » 13 Aug 2019, 11:51

This is an ongoing topic for all general conversations about Doris - inline with the idea of streamlining the forum. There are still many open topics if you feel what you want to say is more relevant there: Music, Photos, Film Reviews, etc. Please don't start new topics without good reason as I will merge them with this. Let's give it a try, anyway and see how it works out. A point I made to Howard was that, ideally, don't post a full article. The 'polite' way is to quote a paragraph or two and link to the rest of it. That way the author and website get the credit and visitors and it's usually easier on the eyes. Talk about whatever you want, ask questions and we should be okay.

My first thoughts are that it's three months today since Doris left us. How are people feeling?
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

jbeane
Forum Friend

Re: Chatting about Doris...

Unread post by jbeane » 13 Aug 2019, 13:06

Sounds good!
"Someone drops a sigh and down you tumble"

howard
Special Contributer

Chatting about Doris...

Unread post by howard » 13 Aug 2019, 18:09

Film Comment Magazine on Doris Day

The current issue of Film Comment features a lovely tribute to Doris:

"To get something of the measure of the emotional investment that Doris Day was capable of as a screen actress, just look at one particular scene she plays in a Marrakech hotel room in The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956). Her character’s husband, a physician played by James Stewart, is preparing to break the news of their young son’s kidnapping to her, but only after he has administered, without asking her permission, a knockout dose of sedative. It’s a wrenching exchange, with Day first holding out against taking the pills before giving into Stewart’s paternalistic browbeating, then fighting with every ounce of her willpower against sleep once he’s broken the news, before finally sinking into an unquiet unconsciousness. No “Que Será, Será” complacency here—Day’s character is established as having surrendered a promising stage career in order to play housewife in Indianapolis, and so to lose her son is to lose what little she has left of herself. That she later shows at least as much competence as Stewart in accomplishing the boy’s recovery is Hitchcock’s sly joke, a goof on the film’s title."

Here's a link to the complete article:

Clear as Sunshine - Film Comment
https://www.filmcomment.com/article/clear-as-sunshine/
Like Irene Dunne done.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 15 Aug 2019, 12:51

Thank you so much Howard for the link. I appreciate it.

I am a Doris Day film enthusiast. Each time I watch her films I discover something new in her performance or the film itself. I try to read everything that is written about her films. Doris Day has to be one of the most underrated performers in Hollywood history.

Thank you Bryan for your tireless direction and words of wisdom in taking this forum in a new direction.

Please take care of yourself and remember that your work and leadership is extraordinary. You have served the memory of Doris Day well. You have given so much to so many for many, many years.I believe it is time to put yourself first to feel better and know all will be well regardless . Thank you again from the bottom of my heart.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 15 Aug 2019, 13:15

Bryan, you asked about how people are feeling 3 months after Doris's passing. Years ago when my father died, I received many condolences. The one I most remember was an encouraging note from someone who wrote, "When my dad died, I thought the sun would never shine again -- but it did." That sender was right -- and for me, the same thing happened after Doris's passing. The vibrant aura about her infused even those of us who didn't know her personally; she left such a transcendent legacy that I feel she remains among us. My initial shock at her passing has lessened a great deal, and I think it's partly because that aura cannot be erased.

The other day I came across a lovely blank verse that Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote: "To laugh often and much; to win the respect of the intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know that one life has breathed easier because you lived here. This is to have succeeded." Isn't that an apt description of Doris?

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 16 Aug 2019, 09:17

That's a lovely post, Judy. It reminds me of this I read on Twitter yesterday:

"Whenever watching a Doris Day movie - which I do often- - I would always say to myself, "I'm so glad she's still with us."... Now I realize she'll never really leave. Rest in peace dear, talented, beautiful lady."

Thank you for your very kind words, Johnny. Keep up the good work!

(I moved Howard's post here as he 'forgot' about not starting new topics :) And Jill seems to have missed my question "My first thoughts are that it's three months today since Doris left us. How are people feeling?")

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 17 Aug 2019, 20:26

Actually, I still miss Doris very much. I've been trying to persuade myself that I'm getting over it but I'm not really. I just watched the BBC's Proms and orchestra leader John Wilson's tribute to Warner Bros including a wonderful tribute to Doris describing her as one of the world's best singers. I'll try and provide the links later.]

Quote:
After this emotional moment, we had the tribute to Doris Day (who died this year aged 97) with ‘The Deadwood Stage’ from Calamity Jane (1953), composed by Sammy Fain (1902-1989), with a gutsy, exciting and suitably boisterous performance from Louise Dearman with the Maida Vale Singers. This was followed by the romantic ‘It’s Magic’ from Romance on the High Seas (1947) by Jule Styne, which marked Doris Day’s debut in musicals.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 18 Aug 2019, 05:22

Doris Day helped me through the years to always see the positive- someone dying at 97 - with little illness over all these years is most certainly a positive - also, I do believe in something after - (not necessarily heaven) so this helps me deal with death generally.

So apart from a tear on May 13 - every time I see our girl - I smile and give thanks that she graced our lives for so long and that (although her life was not easy) she didn't have too many physical health problems through the years and was able to stay in her own wonderful abode until the end surrounded by her 4 leggers -

remember -

Complaint is poverty - gratitude riches -

There is always a positive.

j 8)

On Moonlight Bay

Unread post by On Moonlight Bay » 18 Aug 2019, 07:19

I still miss Doris. :( Sweet picture of her. :)

docwheels

Unread post by docwheels » 20 Aug 2019, 19:08

I'm new to the forum and appreciate the webmaster allowing me to register. The webmaster suggested I give a quick reason for becoming a new registrant even after Ms. Day's death - and the most concise answer I can give is "hope."

Briefly, I'm a retired professor that honestly only saw 2 Doris Day films in the first 6+ decades of my life and hadn't a clue that she was anything but a "movie" singer. I became a pre-teen consumer of movies and music at the same time the Beatles stormed the American shores and when I was old enough to buy my own music it was Karen Carpenter I was listening to. So, it wasn't that I disliked Doris Day - I just didn't know her since my parents couldn't afford movies and listened only to classical or religious music.

So, how did I get from that past to becoming a forum member? As I looked at all the obituaries about Ms. Day back in May, I was blown away. How could I not know more about a woman who made 39 films in 20 years and recorded over 650 songs? So, as academics tend to do, I said, I'll do some research and watch some of the films. Being very organized, I decided to start at the beginning with "Romance on the High Seas."

Long story short, a month after I started my "research" - while I was still working my way through all the films and beginning to seek out Doris Day music recordings since I'd already learned that Ms. Day was a "real" singer - an old colleague and I had lunch. At the end of the meal, he said, "you're surprisingly happy for someone who's gone through a lot of bad things in the past several months." That comment shocked me. After thinking about what he said for a couple of minutes, I told him, "you know what, it's because I've been watching and listening to Doris Day. I don't what it is about her - not really the substance of the movies or music - just something about seeing and hearing her that makes me feel optimistic."

Well that moment has now turned into a course that I'll be teaching this coming winter at George Mason University's Osher Life-Long Learning Institute. It's entitled "Jung, Doris Day, and Hope." My premise - after reading both a lot of music/movie theory, watching all of Ms. Day's movies/listening to at least half of her music, and contemplating modern entertainment and culture - is that a factor in why so many in U.S. society seem so hopeless is that we don't have any MAJOR entertainment/cultural figure who embodies optimism (the Jungian archetypes of the "innocent" and the "orphan/guy-girl-next door") like Ms. Day did.

Reading your postings - along with comments on social media sites - has been a great help to me in pulling this course together. I may also be asking a few questions on some of the threads.

Again, thanks for letting me be part of the forum.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 21 Aug 2019, 04:37

Welcome Docwheels,

Hope you'll have an nice time here. And let Doris music continue to inspire you and lift up your life. It helped me through a rough times too. On this forum is a lot to read about the film, music and pet career of Doris Day.
Enjoy your stay!!!

Peter

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 21 Aug 2019, 07:32

Welcome Dochwheels - and you are so right and hit the nail on the head in that DD brings hope and joy.

The only interview [that I can think of] that asked Ms Day how she would like to be remembered is the 1989 BBC one - where she replied

"so many people write to me, and I'm going by what they say, and they say that when they're depressed, or feeling really low, they go to see one of my films and they feel better. Now, I don't know what that means, but, if - if what I do, brings, uh, joy to the people, well, I would love that."

:D :D :D

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 21 Aug 2019, 11:01

Welcome Docwheels to the Doris Day Forum which is a true community of love that speaks to the kindness and joy inspired by the gifted but often underappreciated work of Doris Day. There is a profound respect amongst forum members for Doris Day the person and the artist. I am sure you will love spending time here. There are many treasures to discover in the works of Doris Day.

I would love to know which Doris Day films and songs captivated you.

These are the DD films that stay close to my heart:

Calamity Jane
Love Me or Leave Me
The Pajama Game
Please Don't Eat The Daisies
Move Over Darling

There are countless Doris Day songs that have deep meaning for me, but these songs are exceptionally heartfelt:

Day By Day
Summer Has Gone
Secret Love
How Insensitive
Close Your Eyes
Let No Walls Divide from Doris' Christmas album
My Romance

Enjoy your time here.

Jas1 wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 07:32
Welcome Dochwheels - and you are so right and hit the nail on the head in that DD brings hope and joy.

The only interview [that I can think of] that asked Ms Day how she would like to be remembered is the 1989 BBC one - where she replied

"so many people write to me, and I'm going by what they say, and they say that when they're depressed, or feeling really low, they go to see one of my films and they feel better. Now, I don't know what that means, but, if - if what I do, brings, uh, joy to the people, well, I would love that."

:D :D :D
Johnny

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 21 Aug 2019, 11:30

Glad to have you on board, Docwheels.

You wrote "just something about seeing and hearing her that makes me feel optimistic." That hits the nail right on the head. As a child, I needed some positivity in my life, and just being in this lady's company, made me feel just a little bit brighter. Bottom line is she makes me happy, and I've heard the same from many other fans.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 21 Aug 2019, 12:18

Welcome to this superb Forum, docwheels, and thanks for sharing the summary of your Doris Day discovery experience. You will find a wealth of information here to help with your course preparation (sure wish I lived near George Mason University!), and your appreciation of this lady's talents and contributions will grow and grow as you learn more about her. She chose to be joyous and grateful in her personal life, and I think those qualities helped to enhance her professional appeal.

jbeane
Forum Friend

Unread post by jbeane » 21 Aug 2019, 17:00

Welcome Docwheels,
I love your story and all that is happening in your life. If want to be happy you came to the right place. All that has been said by the members is right on target. You will always have a safe place to land on this forum. We all love and appreciate Doris and her many talents. There is so much information here that you could spend months going through it all. If you don't find what you are looking for, put the questions out there and you will get responses of that you can be sure. Enjoy what Bryan has created and the invaluable input from all of the members. Would love to hear up dates on your class.
Best,
Jill
"Someone drops a sigh and down you tumble"

On Moonlight Bay

Unread post by On Moonlight Bay » 21 Aug 2019, 17:21

Yes, welcome! This is a bit of an unusual place. For one thing, the people are very genuine and there is no advertising or attempts to extract money from you! Often it's a very quite place and you can almost feel the tumbleweed blowing through it! And then, suddenly, it's a hive of activity. :)

The webmaster does a good job of managing it but he usually bows to the wishes of the members, as with his wanting to 'move on' after Doris went to the great beyond. I don't blame him really, I think I'd want to do the same. But it's a great place to get information about Doris, who seems to be getting some of the acknowledgement she deserves now than she did when she was with us.

I must admire your new career, please keep us posted about how it going.

docwheels

Unread post by docwheels » 21 Aug 2019, 18:29

I would love to know which Doris Day films and songs captivated you.

I enjoy everything you listed. Hate to say it, because I know it makes me seem a bit dense, but I really had not realized that Doris Day did musicals. I'd only culturally heard about her 60's comedies and seen only "Glass Bottom Boat" and "Caprice" at drive-ins with a bunch of teenage friends. As you probably remember from your own youth - teenagers at drive-ins aren't usually focused all that much on the actual movie playing on the screen.

So, when I started watching the movies in chronological order, I was enthralled with the musicals - the first decade of her movie-making. In order my top 5 musicals are: Calamity Jane, Pajama Game, Love Me or Leave Me, Billy Rose's Jumbo, and My Dream is Yours. I think I could watch Doris Day jump up on the bar at the saloon and sing to the golden daffodils almost every day.

Music-wise, I love everything on the Duet and Latin for Lovers albums. But, for the class I'll be teaching next semester, I'm focusing on the optimistic songs and even the silly energetic songs like "Hoop-Dee-Doo." Anyone who can perfectly enunciate in a fast polka time - "when there's a fiddle in the middle of what really is a riddle how he plays the tune so sweet" - is one amazing singer.

Thanks for your welcome and question

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 22 Aug 2019, 04:51

A hearty welcome to Docwheels. New perspectives and energy are just what the forum doctor ordered. Looking forward to hearing more about your upcoming Doris Day seminar. Sounds wonderful.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 22 Aug 2019, 05:05

If anyone has some spare change lying around, Doris and Marty's former home on Crescent Drive is on the market for a nifty $14.5 M. I wish the current owners had repainted the exterior which is a dingy grey; however, I love what they've done with the interior which is more modern and open with new windows that bring the outdoor light inside. See the link below.

My thanks to Craig Marquis for sharing the article with me.

Michael

https://www.latimes.com/business/real-e ... ar1GNYo9u0
Michael H

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 22 Aug 2019, 11:25

Had a wonderful time yesterday viewing "Love Me or Leave Me" on the big screen. It was part of the four part Wednesday matinee series of Doris films. I missed the first two - "Pillow Talk" and "Lover, Come Back" because I had already seen them at a neighborhood theatre last year. But it's a wonderful experience sharing this great film with 75 or so movie fans. The audience was a nice mixture of older and younger folks. I went with a couple of pals (I call them DDFIT- Doris Day Fans in training) and they loved the film, which really pleased me. The print could have been better - it wasn't bad, but I wouldn't call it pristine. I was surprised in that I didn't see any familiar Dayniac faces around. Anyway, it was a wonderful afternoon.
Like Irene Dunne done.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 23 Aug 2019, 06:18

I saw this on Facebook yesterday but I haven’t been able to determine if it’s fact or rumor.

“Exciting things are coming for fans of Doris Day - two of her original Christmas tracks have been re-mixed with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and will be available on an all new Christmas with the Stars later this year. The producers are the same ones behind the recent Elvis, Roy Orbison and forthcoming Johnny Cash albums with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. More news coming including vinyl editions of My Heart and The Love Album.”

The Doris Day Archive Uk

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 23 Aug 2019, 07:45

Encouraging news. Let's hope this is true.

Thank you Michael.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 02 Sep 2019, 08:28

Scott Dreier posted on Facebook that he has completed a series of interviews for a new DVD that will feature Doris' former co-stars. This is a follow-up to the first DVD that was released a few years ago.

Below are the folks he interviewed this past week:

Christopher Olsen from The Man Who Knew Too Much ("Hank")
Arlen Stuart from Pillow Talk ("Tilda")
Marion Ross from Teacher's Pet (her assistant "Katy Fuller")
Kevin Carlisle - Emmy award winning director / choreographer who choreographed The Doris Mary Anne Kappelhoff Special
Mamie Van Doren from Teacher's Pet ("Peggy DeFore")

It will be available exclusively through DDAF.org and the target release date is April 3, 2020. All proceeds will go to the DDAF.

Cheers to Scott, Lea Price and Katie Gertz for making this happen.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 05 Sep 2019, 08:20

This is truly exciting news. It is lovely to know Doris' April 3rd 2020 birthday will continue to be a special celebration.

Thank you Michael
Johnny