That Touch of Mink

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "That Touch of Mink"?

Poor
3%
Average
17%
Good
45%
Excellent
35%

Total votes: 75

Doris Martin
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: That Touch of Mink

Unread post by Doris Martin » 20 Feb 2014, 17:47

Sinem wrote:Thanks Ania, I haven't seen before this photos, wonderful! : )
thanks..they are really fantastic

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 21 Feb 2014, 07:56

Yes, amazing photos, Ania, The link, when you click on them, goes to a page that doesn't show them - are there larger sizes available?
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 21 Feb 2014, 12:38

Fabulous photos. Thanks for posting them. I recently watched the Blu-Ray dvd of "Mink," and it looks fabulous. They've cleaned it up to look as if it were the very first showing!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin » 21 Feb 2014, 12:41

Ania wrote:ImageImageImageAnia
FANTASTIC,,Thank you again

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 12 Sep 2015, 14:26

Cary Grant did not like the title, That Touch of Mink. He thought mink was passé. He preferred the title, Warm Heart, Cold Feet.

Doris preferred the title, Not Tonight Catherine. This title offended the people at the production code office. It is hard to believe today that in 1962, that title would be considered offensive to some. I agree with Doris, I like, Not Tonight Catherine.
Johnny

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 12 Sep 2015, 16:37

Both those titles, I think, are better than the original. But why quibble? The film was a huge hit!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin » 13 Sep 2015, 01:25

good morning dearest//you are right///it was FANTASTIC.....fantastic///MM

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 09 Dec 2015, 20:31

There were some real funny scenes in this movie. Gig Young telling his secretary to take off her glasses and let her hair down, she did and she was a mess!!LOL Gig said that it always worked in the movies! Also Doris saying Hi to Cary Grant on the bed with the bottle stuck to her big toe. and Doris putting the unemployment clerk in his place was priceless.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 03 Jun 2016, 09:46

In David Kaufman's book it is reported that on July 7-1961 an announcement came that the filming of That Touch of Mink would be delayed two additional weeks in order for Day to attend the Moscow Film Festival. "The hurried invitation from Washington D.C. stated that her presence would be deeply appreciated because she represents the American image as it should be projected in foreign countries.
As Ross Hunter would soon say about Day, "The sunny,funny,freckled,friendly,sensible,beautiful girl had done more for the American image abroad than Coca Cola and Pepsi combined".
Indeed what Edith Piaf was to France, Day had become to America.
It ended up that Doris did not go to Moscow and filming of That Touch of Mink started later that month.
That Touch of Mink was Cary Grant's second highest grossing film in his career after Operation Petticoat.
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 03 Jun 2016, 16:04

Doris in Moscow - that's a whole different film! :lol:
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 05 Jun 2016, 08:18

I agree johnny re doris and her American image.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 23 Jul 2016, 13:53

I watched this film again today and got a slightly different perspective -

There is no doubt the film was so classy and looks fabulous - I don't know if Doris ever looked better on the screen - clothes, hair, everything.

However, my perspective change is that DD was not playing 35 plus year old virgin in this film - Cathy Timberlake broke out due to nerves- not necessarily because she was a virgin, but because she liked the Cary Grant character so much and therefore didn't want to disappoint him - I can relate to that - without being too graphic but when you like someone, really like someone, you just want everything to be perfect and things can get clumsy until things relax.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 23 Jul 2016, 14:02

You are right Jas. Doris never played a virgin. She even drank to calm her nerves but was totally going to sleep with Mr. Grant. He even got hives being he was married and could not perform. Kathy told her roomate she wanted to die because of the situation. The roomate told a neighbor. The neighbor replied well if that will make her feel better!! :o

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 23 Jul 2016, 14:20

Kathy was displaying her doubts and fear about giving Phillip Shayne her best. She knew from the start at the construction site that no wedding band was offered. In early 60's sleeping with a man and not married was frowned upon. But Kathy chased her man with or without a wedding ring. Doris was ahead of her time instead of a 40 year old virgin! Was even willing to date that sleeze to make her man jealous. Gig Young was hysterical making his analist think he was gay! :shock:

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 24 Jul 2016, 09:45

Yes Ray, Gig Young character was so funny and the film was so clever poking fun at the more absurd elements of psychiatric care. Even the overbearing Audrey Meadows character- it can be seen her strong views come from bad experiences- e.g. when she talks about booking into a motel with a man in the past and how he [not she] got a bad case of nerves and flew the site!

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 31 Aug 2017, 08:29

Reliance Home Videos _ That Touch of Mink.jpg
Some That Touch of Mink Trivia:

Cary Grant was a huge fan of the TV series The Honeymooners with Jackie Gleason, Audrey Meadows and Art Carney. Cary was responsible for Audrey Meadows getting the part of Connie.

Rock Hudson had expected to play the Cary Grant role of Philip Shayne but director Delbert Mann wanted Cary Grant.

That Touch of Mink was the fourth highest grossing film of 1962.

Rotten Tomatoes gives the film critic score of 78% and an audience score of 70%.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Johnny

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 31 Aug 2017, 16:50

ImageImageImage
Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 25 Sep 2018, 21:18

In Alan Gelb's book The Doris Day Scrapbook, he has several major criticisms of Doris' film That Touch of Mink.

He describes Cary Grant as the master of romantic comedy --his performances in films like Bringing Up Baby, The Awful Truth, Holiday and Topper could serve as a textbook for aspiring farceurs --but his chemistry with Doris was virtually nil. Grant only made three more films after That Touch of Mink and it was rumored that he was more interested in his budding career as a Faberge' executive than he was in acting, but there is no excuse for his air of boredom he carried around with him in That Touch of Mink. Admittedly though he had a lot to be bored with.
Grant's relationship with Doris in the film is immediately tedious and irritating...

There are obvious inconsistencies here. In the first place, can anyone imagine that Cary Grant --romancer of Ingrid Bergman, Kate Hepburn and Mae West to name but a few --would break out in a rash on his wedding night? Such absurdities, which gather throughout the film, have a tendency to stick in the craw. The other oddity about the film is that it has Doris rather
her than her leading man as the deceiver and the manipulator In a sexual situation..... It is not the fresh and straight from the shoulder Doris that we all know and love, and that's what sets the film askew. Aside from these thematic gaffes , however, That Touch of Mink was just not a very well made film. Delbert Mann's direction was slick but lacking in style, and Stanley Shapiro had used the same joke too many times by then. The best things in the movie were the able and divertingly comic performances of Gig Young and Audrey Meadows.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 17 Sep 2019, 21:15

in David Kaufman's book on Doris Day, it states: "Cary Grant's biographer Marc Elliot noted that Melcher felt Hudson got too much credit and Day too little for their two films success, (Pillow Talk and Lover Come Back). The Hudson characters were always described as the Cary Grant types. Melcher decided to go for the real thing "when casting That Touch of Mink.
Getting Grant proved far more expensive than Arwin Productions had bargained for. After Grant turned him down several times, Melcher had to include him as a partner who shared in the film's profits.
For Grant it was a shrewd maneuver; Mink would become the debonair star's second highest grossing film after Operation Petticoat. Grant would ultimately earn $4 million from his involvement with That Touch of Mink, But he was not happy working on the film.
Johnny