Chatting about Doris...

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Johnny
Honorary Member

Re: Chatting about Doris...

Unread post by Johnny »

After watching Renee Zellweger win the Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild best actress awards for her role as Judy Garland in the film Judy, this makes it probable a film on Doris Day is not far behind.

Judy has been financially successful and to date has earned $24 million in the United States and Canada and a worldwide total of $38.7 million.

The film holds a 83% on Rotton Tomatoes based on 280 reviews.

Watching Charlize Theron's transformation to play Megan Kelly in Bombshell makes me think she would be a strong candidate to play Doris. I don't know if she can sing but I would be happy to hear Doris sing her own songs. Renee Zellweger used her own voice to sing in Judy.

The critical points that matter if Doris Day's life is made into a film is to have an excellent script, director and cast.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Friends brought up the question: Where does Doris Day rank amongst Hollywood actress legends?
I found this IMDb article listing the top 30 female Hollywood Legends. They are:

Greta Garbo
Katharine Hepburn
Elizabeth Taylor
Grace Kelly
Ingrid Bergman
Marilyn Monroe
Bette Davis
Vivian Leigh
Olivia de Havilland
Meryl Streep
Audrey Hepburn
Judy Garland
Rita Hayworth
Doris Day
Lauren Bacall
Norma's Shearer
Lana Turner
Joan Crawford
Sophia Lauren
Jane Wyman
Luise Rainer
Anne Bancroft
Faye Dunaway
Shirley MacLaine
Jane Fonda
Julia Roberts
Barbra Streisand
Liza Minnelli
Nicole Kidman
Sissy Spacek

Interestly most of the actresses listed are from the 20th century classic period in Hollywood history. Surprisingly, Susan Hayward is not included in this group. Doris Day certainly deserves to be on this list.

While checking out other articles on Hollywood Legends, I was surprised to see they were rated on the amount of money earned, most beautiful, most popular, box office , icons and Doris Day was not included on these lists nor was Susan Hayward.

I am still looking for a list of legendary actresses using the criteria based on their work. Most of the lists are focused on current actresses working.

I will continue to look for articles on Doris Day's influence on pop culture.
Johnny

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Personally, I'd put Doris at the top!
But trying to be objective and thinking about the quality of acting and variety of film, I'd put her before:
Greta Garbo
Grace Kelly
Marilyn Monroe
Vivian Leigh
Olivia de Havilland
Audrey Hepburn
Judy Garland
Rita Hayworth

So my list would be:
Katharine Hepburn
Elizabeth Taylor
Ingrid Bergman
Bette Davis (and I'm not sure about her, it's hard to know if she's acting or hamming it up!)
Meryl Streep
Doris Day

And Meryl Streep is a different generation so it's not a like-for-like comparison, as with Garbo.

And that's being generous! I could easily go for:
Katharine Hepburn
Elizabeth Taylor
Ingrid Bergman
Doris Day

Who''s films do I prefer personally? 8)
Doris Day
Katharine Hepburn
Elizabeth Taylor
Ingrid Bergman
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Interesting that this list excludes Ginger Rogers, Claudette Colbert, Rosalind Russell, Irene Dunne, and Myrna Loy. I think a few listed are too young to qualify as legends.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

There's a copy of "Doris Day, Her Own Story" available on Ebay for $10.00. If you haven't read or owned it, now is a good time.
Like Irene Dunne done.

docwheels

Unread post by docwheels »

I ran across https://www.filmsite.org/100greatfilmstars7.html which lists Doris among the top 50 actresses.

On this website they are not ranked. The book (The Goddess and the Girl-Next-Door) that sent me to the FilmSite.org location said Doris was ranked at 40th. Since the ranking criteria includes awards won the author of the book said that was why Doris was ranked lower on the list.

I guess I don't really care how she's ranked - I like her.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

These lists are always interesting, often maddening, and utterly unscientific but they are fun too.

I don't see how any Best Film Actress list could be complete without Joan Crawford on it. She may not have had the range or depth of some, but she was a true movie star actress - she knew more about the camera than anyone and her prescence alone was reason enough to see a film.

Doris would rank higher had she gotten more love from the critics and the Academy but the quality of her film work and her box-office popularity speak for themselves.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

The evil coat-hanger wielding woman is on there, Michael. :lol:

Doris Day
Lauren Bacall
Norma's Shearer
Lana Turner
Joan Crawford

jmichael
Honorary Member

Thank you and I'm taking this issue up with my opthamologist as we speak. :shock:

Michael
Michael H

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Surprising quote I just unearthed from Boy George:

God Bless Doris Day! What a voice. What a legend. R.I.P.  
Like Irene Dunne done.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

This Doris Day quote is one of my favourites.

"Gratitude is riches. Complaint is poverty."

I think this quote speaks truth to Doris' character.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Here is a link to the DDAF / Julien's Auction Gallery list of events in LA the week of March 31 - April 5.

https://www.dorisday.com/celebrating-doris-events

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Wow, that's amazingly comprehensive, isn't it? But you might need more than a few $$$$$'s! I'd love to stay at the Beverly Hilton Hotel and have a tour of all the fabulous places on offer but my budget won't stretch that far. :) It's probably more manageable for those of you who live in the US - or go to Carmel regularly.

Are you planning to go, Michael? Anyone else?

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I'll be there. It would be great to see you there, Bryan, but I understand. Still.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Michael for posting the comprehensive and helpful DDAF list of events. It is gratifying to see there will be a dogs adoption event.

I would love to go on the tour of Doris' work locations and see her home. I think there are events that will appeal to and include everyone. It is clear that this event has been planned with a great deal of thoughtful care.

I know a great deal of money will be raised to help Doris' animals.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

webmaster wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 09:53
Wow, that's amazingly comprehensive, isn't it? But you might need more than a few $$$$$'s! I'd love to stay at the Beverly Hilton Hotel and have a tour of all the fabulous places on offer but my budget won't stretch that far. :) It's probably more manageable for those of you who live in the US - or go to Carmel regularly.

Are you planning to go, Michael? Anyone else?
Yes, I’m going.

Michael
Michael H

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Tomorrow Keith Angstadt and I will be interviewing Les Brown, Jr., about his new CD - DORIS DAY - With Love. Looking forward to chatting with Les and hearing more about his time with Doris and about this new wonderful CD/LP. The internet radio show will air on Valentine's Day: Friday, February 14th @ 3:00PM EST and at 8:00PM EST, and then again on Sunday, February 16th at 9:00PM EST. You will be able to hear the show on www.mybnr.com
ENJOY!!!! Check out our schedule for ALL the great music we play from the 50's thru the 70's.

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Mary Anne for this news update.

What a perfect Valentine for Doris' fans!

Wishing you a great interview with Les Brown's son. He has given us all a beautiful gift.

Listening to Doris Day With Love is a slice of heaven. I am so thankful for this work.
Johnny

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

*****ALERT****
The LES BROWN interview is being postponed until March and I will let you know as soon as possible when it will be aired. I look forward to meeting Les in Cincinnati on March 22nd when the Cincinnati Jazz Hall of Fame Honors Doris. He has some wonderful stories to share and I know we will all enjoy hearing them soon. Will let you know as soon as the show is scheduled in March.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Mary Anne

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

****NOTICE UPDATE ****
Due to scheduling, our interview with Les Brown, Jr., will be delayed until sometime in March - will let everyone know as soon as it is scheduled. Les Brown, Jr., will be in Cincinnati, Ohio, on Sunday, March 22nd for the DORIS DAY Celebration sponsored by Cincinnati Jazz Hall of Fame. Will be there with a very special Lady. Will share that story later....stay warm everyone!

Mary Anne

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Just discovered this quote from the great Angela Lansbury:

"Extremely sad news.
Doris Day was an extraordinary talent & even greater human being, who devoted her life to helping others, especially those, who have no voice of their own. One of the biggest stars ever, yet so unaffected & down-to-earth. She’s with angels now. RIP & farewell."
Like Irene Dunne done.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

A sweet, nicely encapsulated tribute from someone with many personal characteristics that mirror Doris's.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Howard for the kind and gracious quote about Doris from Angela Lansbury.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Love the tribute from the great Angela Lansbury. Thank you, hg.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

A. E. Hotchner, Writer and Friend of the Famous, Dies at 102

His diverse body of work included novels, plays and a memoir about Ernest Hemingway. He was also a partner with his friend Paul Newman in business and charity.

The author A.E. Hotchner in 2018, the year he published the novel “The Amazing Adventures of Aaron Broom.”
Monica Jorge for The New York Times,
By Bruce Weber, Feb. 15, 2020
A.E. Hotchner, a novelist, playwright, biographer, literary bon vivant and philanthropist whose life was shaped and colored by close friendships with two extraordinarily gifted and well-known men, Ernest Hemingway and Paul Newman, died on Saturday at his home in Westport, Conn. He was 102.

His death was announced by his wife, Virginia Kiser.

Mr. Hotchner was not to the manner born, nor was he a celebrity. But he was nonetheless at home among the glitterati, one of those not-so-famous people whom famous people, for whatever reason, take to.

He was aware of this quality in himself, and he made use of it professionally. One of his books, “Choice People” (1984), consists of anecdotal profiles of Clark Gable, Barbara Hutton, Marlene Dietrich and others of his acquaintance; another, “Everyone Comes to Elaine’s” (2004), is about that now-closed Manhattan bistro and its clientele, aptly described in the book’s subtitle: “Forty Years of Movie Stars, All-Stars, Literary Lions, Financial Scions, Top Cops, Politicians, and Power Brokers at the Legendary Hot Spot.”

Hemingway, for whom Mr. Hotchner was a friend, editor and traveling companion from 1948 until the novelist’s death in 1961, and Coco Chanel, among others, appear as characters in his 1981 novel, “The Man Who Lived at the Ritz.” Mr. Hotchner also wrote “Doris Day: Her Own Story” (1976), based on interviews he conducted with Ms. Day, and “Sophia, Living and Loving: Her Own Story” (1979), a biography of Sophia Loren.

Perhaps most famously, he was, with Mr. Newman, his neighbor in Connecticut, a founder of Newman’s Own, the purveyor of salad dressing, lemonade and other delectables that was hatched in a backyard barn one Christmas and grew into a multimillion-dollar charitable enterprise.

Mr. Hotchner was a loyal friend and companion. Both in interviews and in his writing, he proved to be deft at admiring what was admirable in others without being dishonest or fawning. Indeed, Mary Hemingway, Ernest’s widow, tried unsuccessfully to stop publication of what turned out to be Mr. Hotchner’s most famous book, “Papa Hemingway: A Personal Memoir” (1966), which included closely observed and painfully revealed details of the paranoia and distress that preceded Hemingway’s suicide.

Throughout his adult life, Mr. Hotchner was a busy and productive writer. In the 1970s he wrote two autobiographical volumes of his own, “King of the Hill” and “Looking for Miracles,” about his down-at-the-heels boyhood during the Depression. The first of the two was made into a 1993 film by Steven Soderbergh.

Mr. Hotchner’s book “Blown Away” (1990), about the Rolling Stones as emblems of the 1960s, created a stir when it concluded that one of the original members of the band, Brian Jones, did not drown accidentally in a swimming pool but died in a flurry of roughhousing at a party.

He also wrote a historical novel, “The Louisiana Purchase” (1996), and a play about presidential lore, “The White House,” starring Helen Hayes, that ran briefly on Broadway in 1964.

His last book was “The Amazing Adventures of Aaron Broom,” a novel about a 12-year-old boy growing up in Mr. Hotchner’s native St. Louis. It was published in 2018, just after he turned 101.

“I wanted to make it a jolly affair,” Mr. Hotchner said of the book in an interview with The New York Times in 2018, “something that would celebrate the fact that you could get as old as I had gotten and, to my vast surprise, still have some of my pebbles on the beach.”

Aaron Edward Hotchner was born in St. Louis on June 28, 1917. As recounted in “King of the Hill,” he spent much of his childhood living alone in the less-than-luxurious Avalon Hotel while his father, Samuel, a traveling salesman, was on the road and his mother, Tillie (Rossman) Hotchner, a synagogue administrator, was in the hospital, ill with tuberculosis.

He studied playwriting and law at Washington University in St. Louis — where Tennessee Williams was a classmate — and went on to law school there, passing the Missouri bar in 1941. He served in the Army Air Forces during World War II, a period he recounted in a third memoir, “The Day I Fired Alan Ladd” (2002).
READ MORE: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/15/book ... -dead.html