Forum Banners 2019-2020

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
RobertOClare
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Forum Banners 2019

Unread post by RobertOClare »

Hi Bryan and Johnny,

Ref: The Doris Day Exhibition at Newbridge

There is now a new link to the photos as follows:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/U29kjs

This is because I added some more photos. In general if you select a photo by clicking on it and then scroll down a bit you will see a short description of that photo. For some photos, however, I took a picture of the actual description card displayed next to the item.

Johnny,
The black dress you mentioned comes from the 1975 CBS Special when Doris sang 'Day by Day'. I have added a photo of the description card now and you will see they describe it as chocolate brown, although I have to agree it does look black. The charm bracelet with the dogs was a present from Marty and Terry. It is 14 carat gold with 11 suspended 14 carat gold charms including 3 poodles with gem set eyes. The other bracelet with the boy's head belonged to her mother, Alma. The description card from the display is now included with the photos. I'm glad you got some pleasure from looking at them.

Bryan,
To answer your questions:
Yes, it was very 'atmospheric' at the exhibition, especially as I was the only one there. The sound of Doris' voice from the DVD and the closeness of all her personal things was an unforgettable experience. I was able to stand for as long as I wanted in front of each item and reflect on Doris wearing it, how she might have felt, and wonder where she found the strength to cope with all the troubles that life threw at her. The strange thing was that I went to the stairs several times to leave, but each time I felt drawn back as if I was not supposed to go yet. When I finally left I felt quite emotionally drained and can only liken it to the feeling after attending a funeral - sadness but also contentment that you have had a proper chance to say goodbye.

I imagine Doris kept a lot of her things at her house in Carmel Valley. It was a huge place with several buildings on the estate.

I'd really love to buy something, but I'm sure there won't be anything in my price range. Can you imagine what the outfit that she wore at the 1989 Golden Globes will go for? Somebody paid over $3000 for a cinema poster advertising 'Pillow Talk' at the DD Weekend in Carmel last year. I'd be quite happy with a spoon that she used to feed her dogs for example, but I doubt those mundane sorts of thing will be included. I still haven't finally decided whether I will go to LA for the auction. DDAF mentioned a week of events, but so far there has been no information from them about it. If nothing is announced soon it will be too late to make the arrangements and the air fares will have gone up too much. I'll see.

Robert
"If you haven't fallen in love with Doris Day, there's something wrong with your heart"

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

That's a very touching description of you alone at the exhibition, Robert. I can imagine it must have been a lonely experience on a certain level as well. I think I'd find it too difficult on my own but I'm glad you felt it was worthwhile and that it gave you a chance to say a personal goodbye.

Yes, I can't see anything being arranged for the auction / Doris' birthday by her website or the Cypress Inn, I suppose you could contact them: https://cypress-inn.com/carmel-hotel-lo ... ontact-us/

Perhaps they have enough to do dealing with the auction? I wonder if any fans are going there on her birthday this year? It might be strange with her not being there.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Robert for more excellent photos from the Doris Day style exhibition. I am really surprised to see the photo of the leopard top. It is so different from any other piece.

I really appreciate all the additional information on the photos. I was particularly touched to know the information about the bracelet that belonged to Doris' mother.

I hope you get the opportunity to go to the
auction. You will be surrounded by others who loved Doris. You may be surprised to find some affordable pieces. I hope so.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Robert,

Thank you for the vivid account of your visit to the exhibit. Your words struck a chord with me because I’ve always considered grief to be a very personal and private emotion. If there had been a crowd there, I wonder if you would have found it so difficult to leave. I hope more fans will make the trip to see it.

Does anyone know what happened to the rest of her gowns from Mink, Midnight Lace, and Pillow Talk, etc.?

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

The Young Man With A Horn banner is a beautiful tribute to Kirk Douglas and Doris Day.
The shadows and light in the banner (and film) are striking.

Doris was perfectly cast in this film.

Thank you Bryan!
Johnny

webmaster

Thanks, Johnny. I think I've got the hang of the new banner size. :) What do people think of the current style?

“That Touch of Mink" is a very popular Doris Day vehicle from her post-Pillow Talk second coming, in which she co-stars with Cary Grant. The movie only works if you accept that Day won’t sleep with Grant, which might have made sense back in 1962 but hardly at all now: after all, these are two of the best-looking and most sophisticated people in the world. But that’s the plot — will she or won’t she, and we know she won’t.

This is quintessential Doris Day fluff, complete with quite unnecessary heavily-gauzed close-ups, and Grant can barely disguise the fact that he’s getting a little too long in the tooth for such foolishness. Still, there’s much charm and, if you accept the premise, this is a lot of fun.” – BBC Radio Times

Not sure why this image is labelled Sunset Boulevard?! :roll: :)

jmichael
Honorary Member

I'm getting used to the new format.

Bryan, I've noticed that WireImage, Getty Images and other stock photo providers occasionally misidentify vintage photos. But in this case, TTOM is a far cry from Sunset Boulevard, as are Doris and Cary vs. Gloria and Bill Holden.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Bryan, I like the new format. This Doris Touch of Mink banner has understated classic simplicity and is sophisticated.

I love the look on Doris' face. It is radiant.

BBC Radio Times describing this film as "quintessential Doris Day fluff" is dismissive, unkind
and insulting to the audience who made the film a hit. It appears that many film critics are cynics at their core. The legacy of That Touch of Mink is laughter and good feelings.

I would have preferred Cary Grant in the Rex Harrison role in Midnight Lace. Tony Curtis or James Garner would have brought more humour as Doris' leading man.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I have been following Doris Day on Instagram.
There are several links with photos of Doris that I have not seen before.

Today I came across a letter posted by Doris’ grandson Ryan. It is located at: doris_day_everyday. It is dated May 15-2019.

There are several other Instagram sites.

dorisdayanimalfoundation

welovedorisday

#dorisday
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Not her best comedy but how can anyone deny the pleasure of seeing Doris Day and Cary Grant together on screen? They were among a select few who could make a film watchable just by being in it. Both were blessed with inordinate charisma and the camera loved them. They didn't have much romantic chemistry but they were charming and natural comedic actors. The razor sharp timing of Gig Young and Audrey Meadows didn't hurt either. You just have to overlook the silly premise and surrender to the joy of watching two pro's make screen acting look effortless.

Michael
Michael H

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Truly beautiful banner. :) :) :)

webmaster

Thanks, Jas! I've missed your encouragement - and lovely to see you back. :)

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thanks Bryan - glad to be back. :? :? :? :? :?

webmaster

Good! I think we're all still coming to terms with losing Doris but time is a great healer as they say. Let's try and get through it together. I'm not focused on closing the forum right now - apart from all the logical reasons that I had, I realised after that I was also very upset - so let's see how it works out.

Another widescreen banner: :)

Doris Day is nominated as Best Actress of the Year

In 1959, after just over a decade in films, Doris Day was nominated for her first Academy Award as Best Actress of the Year for her performance in Pillow Talk. Many felt that the recognition of her talents was long overdue. She had given a stunning performance in MGM’s Love Me or Leave Me (1955) with James Cagney, which was considered a sure-fire bet for a nomination. To the shock of many critics and fans, she was not among the five actresses nominated that year. MGM chose instead to promote Eleanor Parker, who starred with Glenn Ford in the melodrama Interrupted Melody – the wrong choice that bore no fruit.

Doris Day plays a fashionable independent New York interior decorator.

That year, in a field dominated by dramatic performances, she had formidable competition from Katharine Hepburn and Elizabeth Taylor in Suddenly Last Summer, Audrey Hepburn in The Nun’s Story and Simone Signoret in Room at the Top, a gritty British drama that would herald the sixties film revolution. Although Doris Day and everyone else lost out to Simone Signoret, Doris won almost every other accolade that year, including:

The Theatre Owners Laurel Award for Best Actress in a Comedy,
Photoplay Magazine’s Most Popular Actress,
Another nomination for Best Actress in a Comedy from the Foreign Press Association,
The coveted World’s Favourite Actress trophy from the Golden Globes, for the second year, and Top Female Box-office Star of the Year in the Motion Picture Herald’s annual poll.

READ MORE: https://www.dorisday.net/pillow-talk/

jmichael
Honorary Member

webmaster wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 20:28
Good! I think we're all still coming to terms with losing Doris but time is a great healer as they say. Let's try and get through it together. I'm not focused on closing the forum right now - apart from all the logical reasons that I had, I realised after that I was also very upset - so let's see how it works out.

Bryan,

I think this is a wise approach. You've been very generous about keeping the store open and giving us a place to process the loss and comment on things, as they unfold. The upcoming estate sale is a case in point. That will no doubt spur additional comments and reflections on what she has to meant to us.

I appreciate the way you've handled this difficult situation.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Bryan, thank you for this classic Doris Pillow Talk black and white banner. Looking at Doris in this photo, her look is regal and timeless.

The black and white gives a stronger focus on the expressions on the faces of Doris and Rock. Doris has a look of dismay while Rock looks like a real wolf.

This banner is delicious.

Like Michael, I want to express my true appreciation for your generosity in keeping the DD Forum going under difficult circumstances. It has allowed us to continue to celebrate the joy we find in Doris' films, music and life.

Most importantly this forum allows this Doris Day community to still connect and share information, thoughts, feelings, appreciation and affection for Doris. Again, thank you Bryan for your time, energy and dedication to this excellent work.
Johnny

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

I also want to say a BIG THANK YOU to you, Bryan, for ALL you do to keep Doris with us - The DD Forum is a very special place where we can go to feel happy with all the wonderful posts about dear Doris. Just wondering who might be going to the special event at the Beverly Hilton coming up April 3-5, to raise money for DDAF? Also, The Cincinnati Jazz Hall of Fame will be honoring Doris, along with a couple other Cincy musicians at a special event on March 22nd. Doris touched so many lives in so many ways - her spirit is still very much alive. THANK YOU again Bryan for your continued dedication to keep Doris with us in such an awesome and loving way....God bless dear Doris Day!!!!

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

RobertOClare

Hi Bryan (and everyone),

I'm adding my name to the list of people who have recorded their thanks for all you do to keep this forum going, and I also totally agree with the comments that have been made.

After much thought I have decided to go to LA for the week of celebrations. Ireland is a long way from California, and as I am now in my 70s the 11 hour flight (especially the jet lag on the return journey) takes a lot out of me. However I know I will always regret it if I don't take part in this special tribute to Doris. I am fortunate to have a friend in LA (a fellow Doris Day fan) who has helped me to get tickets etc. to all the events. I am particularly looking forward to the Scott Dreier 'Doris & Me' show. I saw him in Carmel in 2018 and was very impressed with his performance.

Talking about Scott, you may like to know that the DVD he has made of interviews with various actors who were in films with Doris will not now be ready for release to coincide with Doris' birthday as originally planned. I was in touch with one of the DDAF team this week and was told the delay was regretted, but the workload involved in setting up the week's events has made it impossible. They will announce the release date via email as soon as possible. We should not underestimate the huge amount of work that this small band of dedicated people has taken on in order to bring this week to fruition. Congratulations to them all.

I'm staying at the Mosaic Hotel, so if anyone wants to meet up, I can be contacted there on (310) 278-0303 (I won't know my cellphone number until I activate my SIM card on arrival in the USA). If you are going, have a great time, and for those who are bidding in the auction, the best of luck!

Robert
"If you haven't fallen in love with Doris Day, there's something wrong with your heart"

webmaster

Thank you all very much. Great that you've decided to go, Robert. You too Michael (and Howard) I hope some of you manage to meet up. And you also, Mary Anne - you'll probably be nearer Robert in LA at the Beverly Hilton? Let us know if you go to the Cincinnati Jazz Hall of Fame, wasn't sure from your post.

Michael, hope you'll have time to report back - ditto everyone else. Any photos and observations send to [email protected] (easy to remember) and I'll make a special topic for them.

Thanks Johnny, as always I enjoy reading your comments! :)

Doris, photo session, 1959, likely for Pillow Talk.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

This black and white Doris Day banner is hauntingly beautiful. The depth of thought on Doris' face is dramatic. The photo is new to me. It is classic. Thank you.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

I’m staying at the Maison 140 hotel and would love to meet all of the forum members who will be there. Robert, I believe your hotel is near mine, so hopefully we can connect.

The more I learn about this weeklong celebration, the more excited I get. It appears that several of her movie kids will be there along with some of her co-stars. There is a whole lot of love going into this and it all seems heartfelt and sincere. Somehow, I feel this makes up (somewhat) for the lack of accolades the film community bestowed upon her while she was still with us.

Bryan, I’ll be happy to send you photos and some brief video footage, if you wish.

Michael
Michael H

jmichael
Honorary Member

I've never seen that BW photo from what looks like a Pillow Talk photo shoot. It's really something. As Johnny said, it is "hauntingly beautiful" and I'm grateful you shared it with us, Bryan.

Michael
Michael H

RobertOClare

jmichael wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 20:42
I’m staying at the Maison 140 hotel and would love to meet all of the forum members who will be there. Robert, I believe your hotel is near mine, so hopefully we can connect.

Michael
Hi Michael, and others staying at one of the DDAF-recommended hotels,

I've checked on Street View, and Maison 140 and the Mosaic Hotel are back to back on adjacent streets. The DDAF publicity talks about them being 'just across the alley' which I guess refers to the service road visible between the two streets. There's probably a 'back way' from one hotel to the other to save walking around the block. I think guests of Maison 140 go to the Mosaic Hotel if they have requested breakfast. The Beverly Hilton is a very short distance away on the other side of Santa Monica Boulevard. Therefore there should be no problem if people from these hotels want to meet up, and fans staying at other LA locations too, of course.

We could use the PM facility if you want to give confidential details like surname and email address for contact purposes during the week. I have never used it but I assume it is only visible to Forum members?

As you say Michael, it's all getting very exciting!

Robert

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Bryan, I am so impressed with this Doris Day banner that I checked out the photographer Richard C. Miller. Here is some information.

Richard C. Miller was born on August 6-1912 and died on October 15, 2010 at the age of 98.

He photographed Marilyn Monroe in 1946 for a magazine cover when she was know as Norma Jeane Baker. He was the still photographer on Marilyn's film Some Like It Hot.

He also filmed many other Hollywood Legends like James Dean, Elizabeth Taylor and Rock Hudson while they were filming Giant.

He also photographed Tony Curtis and Lawrence Olivier on the Spartacus film set.

He also photographed Steve McQueen.

I saw one other of his photographs of Doris and Rock on the Pillow Talk set.

His work is extraordinary.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Robert, I’ll send you a PM with my contact info.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael H