Poll: Doris Would Have Been Better

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Poll: Doris Would Have Been Better: Select Three and Tell Us Why

1953. From Here To Eternity (Deborah Kerr)
6%
1954. Dial M For Murder (Grace Kelly)
3%
1957. An Affair To Remember (Deborah Kerr)
13%
1958. South Pacific (Mitzi Gaynor)
23%
1961. The Children's Hour (Audrey Hepburn)
No votes
1963. Charade (Audrey Hepburn)
No votes
1964. The Unsinkable Molly Brown (Debbie Reynolds)
6%
1965. The Sound of Music (Julie Andrews)
3%
1967. Wait Until Dark (Audrey Hepburn)
No votes
1967. The Graduate (Anne Bancroft)
10%
1973. Forty Carats (Liv Ullman)
3%
1977. The Turning Point (Shirley MacLaine)
3%
1983. Terms of Endearment (Shirley MacLaine)
6%
1989. Steel Magnolias (Oympia Dukakis)
3%
1996. Mother (Debbie Reynolds)
10%
2004. The Notebook (Gena Rowlands)
10%

Total votes: 31

Johnny
Honorary Member

Re: Poll: Doris Would Have Been Better

Unread post by Johnny »

Fortunately, Doris sings from South Pacific these songs on her Showtime album:

A Wonderful Guy
Happy Talk

One of my favourite songs from this album is I've Grown Accustomed To His Face from My Fair Lady. Doris singing this song is extraordinary.

I recall Doris giving a radio interview to Jonathan Schwartz about her feelings in not getting the role of Nellie Forbush in South Pacific.
Johnny

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

As far as I know, Johnny, Doris never recorded "Gonna Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair."
PS: I see you've eliminated "Wash That Man" from your original post.
Like Irene Dunne done.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Johnny wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 11:04
Fortunately, Doris sings from South Pacific these songs on her Showtime album:

A Wonderful Guy
Happy Talk
I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair

One of my favourite songs from this album is I've Grown Accustomed To His Face from My Fair Lady. Doris singing this song is extraordinary.

I recall Doris giving a radio interview to Jonathan Schwartz about her feelings in not getting the role of Nellie Forbush in South Pacific.
Doris also spoke at length about South Pacific when she attended a fan gathering in Carmel in the late 80's. I believe Howard was there that day. Anyway, if memory serves me, Doris said Mitzi really wanted the part and cut her price to get it or words to that effect. Doris was rather que sera, sera about it in the clip I saw.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Howard, you are right! Thank you.

On You Tube there is a video that identifies Doris Day as singing I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair". When I listened to the singer, I believe it is Mitzi Gaynor.

I read your excellent DD Forum post on South Pacific from February 2007. It really is insightful.
Johnny

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Thanks, Johnny.

Looking over the list of film possibilities, "South Pacific" is my number one choice, by far. Doris as Nellie Forbush would have been one for the ages. She was born to play that role ... Can you imagine Doris with her infectious, exuberant personality, in addition to her dancing skill, would have made "Gonna Wash That Man" a number out of musical heaven. And as she proved in LMOLM, she could go darker and deeper as required for the part of Nellie. Mitzi Gaynor was good, but Doris would have been great! (Listen to her version of "A Wonderful Guy" on the great Show time album to give you an idea as to how wonderful she would have been).

Second choice for me would be "The Graduate." Granted, Anne Bancroft was wonderful as Mrs. Robinson, but Doris playing out of character in that particular part, and looking as fabulous as she did at that age, would have made the film even funnier than the original. The girl next door seducing a young, college boy? Think of the possibilities. One other thing: "The Graduate" is considered to be a screen classic. It's unfortunate, but the film industry doesn't seem to see any of DD's films to be in the same league, although we know better, don't we? ("Love Me or Leave Me" any one?).

"Unsinkable" would be my third choice. Doris could have had a field day with that part, just as she had with "Calamity." It would have been a joy to see her kickin' up her heels again. I understand that MGM originally bought the property for Doris, but after the box office disappointment of "Billy Rose's Jumbo," they were skeptical of starring her in another musical.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Beautiful rendition.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Two films that I watched recently were A Star Is Born (1954) and Heaven Knows Mr. Allison (1957).

With no disrespect to the brilliant work Judy Garland did in A Star is Born and Deborah Kerr in Heaven Knows Mr. Allison, I thought Doris Day would have excelled in the roles.

Doris would have brought a different kind of emotional intelligence to the role in Star. Doris has a more grounded confident personality than Judy. Both Doris and Judy always bring much empathy into their performances.

Regarding Heaven Knows Mr. Allison, I would have loved to see Doris play opposite Robert Mitchum whose personality shares a strong masculine confidence similar to Clark Gable's.

It would have been interesting seeing Doris' play a nun trapped on a Japanese occupied island with Mitchum's Marine character during World War 2.
Doris' simple, sincere and direct manner playing against Mitchum's gruff and blunt personality would have created sparks.

Anyone who has not seen this film, I would highly recommend it.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I like Mitchem, however, I will never forget the look on his fact at the Golden Globes in 1989 when Doris was doing her speech- he looked decidedly not amused -....

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I just saw recently Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore directed by Martin Scorsese and starring Ellen Burstyn. Ellen won the 1974 Academy Award for best actress and was sensational in the role. This part would have been a perfect fit for Doris since Alice was a singer with a ten year old son.

Doris deserved a great role like this.
Johnny

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I felt the same way, Johnny. It was a terrific film, and I thought of Doris while watching it! It would have been a great role for her!
Like Irene Dunne done.