Forum Banners 2019-2020

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Johnny
Honorary Member

Re: Forum Banners 2019

Unread post by Johnny »

Hi Bryan,

It is good to hear from you. It is difficult for most of us to accept this new reality and hearing so much grim news. I hope keeping connected with your friends and loved ones will help you feel better.

I have cut back on the amount of viewing on CNN. I listen to Prime Justin Trudeau’s 30 minute news conference each day.

I have discovered Instagram and am really enjoying it. There are so many posts of photos of Doris Day that I have not seen before. I started telling my story by posting photos of all the movie posters of movies I have seen, my favourite books, music album covers and pieces of art. You can be sure movie posters of all photo all Doris’ movies are posted. Instagram is a very interesting and enjoyable community.

I share this experience and perhaps it will interest and give joy to other forum members.

As I have said before, the Doris Day Forum gives so much joy and uplifts our spirits especially during this challenging time. Thank you Bryan for your leadership and keeping it going. I am thinking about Doris’ May 13th. anniversary and am wondering if we as forum members can do something special to honour Doris.

I pose this question to DD Forum members: What would Doris Day say to everyone about how to make the best of this dark time? I am sure they wold be words of wisdom.

Be well Bryan and take care.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Nice to hear from you Johny and glad you doing well - i have Instagram and like it fine - but can't get too worked up about it, must keep trying.

Unlike you, i love my daily update of CNN - or preferably, NMNBC - but whatever keeps us going- i have been re-watching Cagney & Lacey recently and they really stand up.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Hi Jas,

Cagney and Lacey is a terrific series that really showcases strong, intelligent, professional women working effectively as a team and as friends. It was a 1981-1988 series paving the way for the empowerment of women in a male dominated field.

Some of my favourite anchors on CNN are Jim Scuito, Poppy Harlow, Kate Bouldon Jake Tapper, Erin Burnett and Anderson Cooper They really focus on strong investigative factual reporting.

In Canada on the CBC , factual investigative reporters Rosemary Barton , Ian Hanomansing,
Andrew Chang, Mark Kelly and Adrienne Arsenault are outstanding.

I have noticed one significant difference between Canada and the United States on the reporting on Covid-19 statistics. With the stats in number of worldwide cases, national cases, number of fatalities, Canadian reports include the number of national recoveries. The recovery stats are important to provide encouragement and support to viewers in dealing with this dark time.

Perhaps someone else has information I am missing. Jas, are recovery stats listed in Ireland?

Be well.
Johnny

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Forum Banners 2019-2020

Unread post by webmaster »

Nice to read your posts. :) I came on to change the banner - often it takes a while to show up. Also I noticed it said Forum Banners 2019, four months into 2020 - I was sure it said Forum Banners 2020!

Anyway, this is the new banner, a sweet photo of Doris & Terry on the backlot of filming Calamity Jane in 1953. Great to see the love between them, you never saw that with Terry & Marty, pictorially at least. I think he was a bit of a macho-man.

Full image:

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Love the new banner. Always nice to see new photos of Doris and Terry on set. It’s a heartwarming reminder of simpler times.

I’m glad everyone is finding creative ways of managing self-isolation. Some of the creativity has been downright brilliant as people come up with clever ways to connect virtually.

I’m on Instagram and enjoy the apolitical style as well as the striking photos and videos. It’s light on substance but it’s visually stunning. I love the animal videos and photos that people post.

Stay safe everyone!

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I love this delightful and charming Doris banner.

Doris and Terry have the same warm and beautiful smile. They were not only mother and son but best friends all their lives.

Thank you Bryan.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Banner- is just beautiful and so touching somehow, coming into May and all that....

Johnny - your observations on reporting the recoveries is spot on and so important- in the UK they record the odd recovery as a personal story but i have not seen statistics showing actual figures of the number who have survived this COVID19 - that would be good for all Countries to report on. I do post on FB any success stories i see or read about - and some friends have commented that they love reading them - we need more of the success stories the survival - i so agree.

Johnny- re-CNN - admire all you state, i also love Don Lemon and Chris Cuomo.

Re MSNBC - I really love Nicole Wallace, Lawrence O'Donnell, Chris Hayes, and particularly Ari Melber who seems to be able to introduce a small element of comedy when appropraite. I am not a fan of the much lauded Rachel Maddow- why say 10 words, when you can say 100 - to get to the point!!

Re: Cagney & Lacey, I had forgotten, (until re-watching and i thought exactly the same thing again) - i used to watch and think of Doris in the Chris Cagney role, or something similar - i really used to fantasise about that when originally watching the shows, and i can still see it. Some of Sharon Gless's looks and throw away lines, and her directness and appeal and girl next door sexyness, def reminded me of DD.

Stay well. :roll:

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Adore this photo of Doris with Terry, sweet memeories, great banner

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

A very touching banner! ❤ Beautiful! ❤

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

webmaster

Thank you all. Here's another sweet one of Doris.

Doris Day with her pet parakeet at home in the early 1950s.

Photo courtesy of The Estate of Doris Day

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Bryan for this sweet Doris photo. It is clear by Doris' expression that she has always had a strong connection with animals.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Love this banner tweet tweet.

webmaster

Thanks. :)

I was going to say that looks like a budgie to me. (One of my relatives had one as I was growing up and it used to say simple phrases it was taught, but I felt sorry for it being in a cage.)

I looked it up and they come from the same family of parrots with 'parakeets' being more common in the US.
Parakeets are a family of various parrot types. The Budgie or budgerigar is simply one of the different types of parakeet. So a Budgie is known as a type of parakeet, but parakeet is not a Budgie. Especially in the USA Budgie is commonly named as a parakeet. It is not the right term for the budgerigar."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Interesting Bryan.

Happy VE day to everyone.

webmaster

Remembering Doris a year on.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Has it really been a year? How can that be true?

One of my all-time favorite banners. One of my all-time favorite Doris films too. Love the bright, colorful pink and her stylish pajama outfit. This was the perfect choice.

Thank you, Bryan. You have a real knack, my friend.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Bryan for this soft, warm and tender
Doris Day Memorial banner. I love the understated, classic, elegant simplicity.

🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼

Doris Day's light and love continues to shine brightly in our lives like being in a sun flooded room in the Doris Day Forum Community.

Doris rests in love.
Johnny

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hello Bryan,

What a thrill to open the forum with this beautiful banner. What a nice way to give a tribute to Doris. It's been a year now. And what a year I might say... A lot of sad stories and a few good ones. I'm glad you are all around here and that things go (well/okay). But it are strange times. I must say Doris helped me to get through some of the days, some music or a film could do wonders. And surfing the internet for new material... always makes me calm and exited for new search adventures.

I hope all of you have a kind of celebration/rememberance that fits. I will listen to some Doris music, probably "Latin For Lovers" and I started this week in a bio about Mary Wickes. So that's my way. And for an hour or so I will surf for some rare never seen photo's I hope.

Thanks for being here, thanks for sharing and caring.

We'll meet again,

P

jmichael
Honorary Member

Peter Flapper wrote:
13 May 2020, 10:18
Hello Bryan,

What a thrill to open the forum with this beautiful banner. What a nice way to give a tribute to Doris. It's been a year now. And what a year I might say... A lot of sad stories and a few good ones. I'm glad you are all around here and that things go (well/okay). But it are strange times. I must say Doris helped me to get through some of the days, some music or a film could do wonders. And surfing the internet for new material... always makes me calm and exited for new search adventures.

I hope all of you have a kind of celebration/rememberance that fits. I will listen to some Doris music, probably "Latin For Lovers" and I started this week in a bio about Mary Wickes. So that's my way. And for an hour or so I will surf for some rare never seen photo's I hope.

Thanks for being here, thanks for sharing and caring.

We'll meet again,

P
Peter,

LOVE that you shared how you're honoring her memory today. Sounds wonderful.

I've been listening nonstop to the extended version of Duet with the five extra tracks. Love this album. It really showcases her greatness as an intimate interpreter of jazz standards with the trio backing her. The piano accompaniment by Previn is perfect. They complement each other beautifully.

Sending my best to everyone in these scary times.
Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

It is so lovely to hear how Peter and Michael are celebrating Doris today.

Two of my all-time favourite Doris songs ( so many), are Summer Has Gone and So Insensitive on Latin for Lovers. Doris' intimacy singing these songs touches my soul.

Duet with Andre' Previn and Doris Day is another treasure. The songs Close Your Eyes and Who Are We To Say...the lines:

"Love may live a day or a life through",

"Knowing love will say, obey your heart".

Today I have decided to watch Doris' films, On Moonlight Bay and By The Light of the Silvery Moon". They are so filled with joy.

Later, I will watch the magic chemistry with Doris and Rock in Pillow Talk.

I would love to hear how other members in the DD Forum community are remembering Doris today.

I imagine Doris is singing and laughing with the angels this year. 🥀🕊️
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Beautiful banner Bryan - perfect.

Yesterday was strange, cannot believe it is a year.

The World is so messed up - for that i am glad DD didn't have to see.

Mostly I rejoice a wonderful long healthy life, amazing career and vital part of history and society with her animal advocacy.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

A wonderful banner, Doris is laughing! Time flies, it's been a year since her death. I am sad..

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

webmaster

Lovely to read all your posts - thank you.

Here's another Sunny Day from the 1950s:

I started a clean up of old posts the other day, starting with FILM & AUDIO CLIPS, VIDEOS and removing those with photos and videos that are no longer available, etc. It took me hours to get to just page 8, If anyone wants to review/remove old posts from 2005 onward that have missing content, or help me do it, please do. It's going to rake a long time.

BTW, we had a new member recently, DDloveher, and forgot to give her our customary warm welcome:

https://www.dorisday.net/forum/viewtopi ... 938#p67938

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Lovely banner Bryan! ❤️

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Bryan for this new and interesting Doris banner. I am wondering if the photo is from The Winning Team.

Doris looks great.
Johnny