By the Light of the Silvery Moon

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "By the Light of the Silvery Moon"?

Poor
No votes
Average
10%
Good
27%
Excellent
63%

Total votes: 60

brianfellows

By the Light of the Silvery Moon

Unread post by brianfellows »

How do you rate "By the Light of the Silvery Moon"?

http://www.dorisday.net/by_the_light_of ... ry_mo.html

A beautiful film with Doris at her best. I rate it 9/10.

Satit, Thailand

When will this movie come in DVD?

Unread post by Satit, Thailand »

Since the technology comes to this great and other movies have been digitally remastered and put them in DVDs. When is the time for "By the light of the silvery moon"?

Jas1
Honorary Member

Just One Girl!

Unread post by Jas1 »

One of my earliest memories and maybe my first Doris one is watching this at Easter time with my grandmother (I could have been anything from aged 2 to 4 or 5). Mary Wickes wore a coat with a fur collar very similar to one my grandmother had and I remember the skating and of course the title song, and our girl!

brianfellows

By the light of the silvery moon

Unread post by brianfellows »

I first saw "By the light . . " at a cinema in Birmingham, England, on November 3rd 1953 at the age of 17. I wrote in my diary "It was terrific and Doris Day was marvellous". My opinion, many, many years later, has not changed one bit. Like nature, Doris's singing lifts the spirits.

howard
Special Contributer

love it!

Unread post by howard »

I love this one! This was the period when I fell in love with DD! The voice, the smile, the energy .... wow-woweee! And she and Gordon Macrae had lovely chemistry between them. What an ideal pair they made! The songs were lovely, and the film was absolutely charming! That's the word for it ... charming!

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

I liked the Prequel On Moonlight Bay also.

joe t.

Warmed over OMB

Unread post by joe t. »

For me, in the spring of 1953, "Silvery Moon" did not offer much to get excited about. It was a lesser version of "On Moonlight Bay" which I thought was funnier. However, I did purchase the album of songs from the film (on four 78rpm discs). It was the second of Doris' albums that I bought and at that time, and my age, it was a big deal to shell out $5 for anything!

I thought the album was superior to the film and I played it constantly. Paul Weston provided Doris marvelous arrangements for these songs and several featured the Norman Luboff Choir which gave excellent background support especially on the title tune which Doris sang quite nicely. "Be My Little Baby Bumble Bee" was fun. Doris soared with "King Chanticleer" and her voice was so clear and warm on the ballads "Your Eyes Have Told Me So" and "I'll Forget You".

While not impressed with this one, I was already excited for the film which I knew was in production: "Calamity Jane". That was something to look forward to.

Joe

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken »

I rate this movie as Excellent. This was such as good movie with great songs. Doris and Gordon were very good together.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

I have to agree with Joe T. If you you saw On Moonlight Bay first, the By the Light... doesn't seem as funny. I know this is probably just me, but I liked her hair and make up better in On Moonlight Bay. It was supposed to be set around 1917. I thought they were pushing it just a little.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

I like both On Moonlight Bay and this movie. They are so nostalgic. If only life could be like these movies !! I think Doris said in her book that she liked these because they all seemed like family and it was fun to make them.
In this movie she was already displaying her independent, self sufficient persona. She fixes the car - she's going to get a job to help save money to get married. And she's got spunk !
I always enjoy these movies !

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Natalier

photos

Unread post by Natalier »

These photographs you are getting are great I just love them. some are ones for the picture and other are just on set there great.
Its a great feeling

Pam
Honorary Member

Unread post by Pam »

Thought you would enjoy this photo of Doris, from one of my favorite movies ~It's a little different, regarding the color of the photo.

Pam~

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Pam
Honorary Member

Unread post by Pam »

Found some more photos from " By The Light Of The Silvery Moon", to add to your wonderful photos Toni ~ This is also one of my favorite movies that Doris made~ I loved Gordon's singing voice, and one of my favorites that he sings is "Just One Girl."

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

I love that last picture -- just great !
I really love BTLOTSM and OMB - they're so nostalgic. Doris said she loved making them - they were all like a family. She and Gordon were so good together.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

This was my second movie I did saw of Doris, and now I'm enjoyed the photos of it.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

WOW I loved this movie!!! I really with they would have made a 3rd though... I mean they kind of left it hanging for me. Do they get married? What happens after that? I like movies that go beyond the happy ending, so most movies never really satisfy me. Oh well, I rated this one excellent!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

webmaster

Silvery Moon

Unread post by webmaster »

Me too - I love the innocence of this and it's 'part one', "On Moonlight Bay".

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

find on ebay, love this picture.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Re: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

Unread post by suzie »

AS SHERLOCK has stated I love the innocence of this darling movie too. Did those innocent times ever really exist or is it something we really WANT to beleive ? :wink: If it was really true, sure wish it would come back , dont you ?
suzie

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

As it fits for both movies I quote Jas here as well :D
I rated this 'good' - these (this and the follow up) are lovely warm family Christmasy films that will always stay in vogue for that afternoon old movie on a cold afternoon!
However I did vote this one excellent - I liked it a little better than OMB and laughed more.

Mary Wickes was hilarious in both movies and I also liked Doris' hair and clothes better in this one.

And the songs were just wonderful!
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Marion, do you know if both of the MOON movies are out in stores yet ? I remember watching these when I was a little girl , on the t.v. and it was a huge snow storm here in michigan, and the local station played both of the moon movies, (because everyone was snowed in and couldnt get out.) That was the blizard of 1968 and we had snow drifts as high as 12 feet high. Im sure my mom was glad we had a couple of good doris movies to keep us busy for awhile lol. Mom made homemade cinnamon rolls for us and we watched our doris, dosnt get any better than that.. lol :wink:
suzie

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I just learned something today... I never knew this, but apparently it's common sense to anyone else..

I didn't realize that people didn't have video players back then. So, you just watched the movie in the theaters and hoped and prayed they would air it on television.. Wow.. I've been missing out on a lot.. I always assumed people just bought the movie when it came out like we do... I guess I was wrong..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Suzie, yes they are out.

I got the "Anthology" from amazon.uk which includes OMB, BTLOTSM, April in Paris, Lucky Me and LOB.

I have seen them a lot on ebay uk as well.
Marion

----------

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Oh Suzie, I just remembered:

You gotta watch out - I think the "Anthology" in the US contains different movies than the one in the UK!

I am talking about this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doris-Day-Antho ... 450&sr=8-1
Marion

----------