Doris Day Films Ranked on Cogerson Movie Scores

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
jmichael
Honorary Member

Doris Day Films Ranked on Cogerson Movie Scores

Unread post by jmichael »

I have no idea if the data shown here is accurate, but the boxoffice figures that have been adjusted for inflation are staggering.

Paul, you may be able to verify or refute some of these numbers with your command of Doris' films and how well they performed at the boxoffice. Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

http://cogersonmoviescore.com/doris-day ... gross.html

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

Interesting, and a lot of work, no doubt much of it difficult and time-consuming..

but "Sentimental Journey" made Doris Day famous -- it did not give her "notoriety".

And he's incorrect in relating the years involved at the beginning of her fame, also--unfortunate for a blog that is so slanted toward 'facts'--makes ya wonder..

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris Day Films Ranked on Cogerson Movie Scores

Unread post by Musiclover »

Dave's points are well taken. As a researcher by avocation, I noticed the same things in Cogerson's info. Also, Day made 39 movies, not 38. There is unquestionably a lot of time-consuming work done to compile statistics. Not that it matters a great deal, but figures from another source I saw differ for the inflation-adjusted Top 10 box-office grosses, which would change the rankings -- from 1 to 10 -- to Pillow Talk, Lover Come Back, That Touch of Mink, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Please Don't Eat the Daisies, Love Me or Leave Me, Move Over Darling, The Thrill of It All, Midnight Lace, and Teacher's Pet.

Cogerson uses Variety as an element to determine a movie's popularity, but I think Film Daily may have been a better choice. For about 50 years (until 1970), that publication not only tracked box-office grosses but also had a large nationwide panel of 450 critics that selected the 10 best movies each year. There may have been others of Day's in that Top 10, but at least these four were chosen: Love Me or Leave Me, Pajama Game, Pillow Talk, and Midnight Lace.

Just as an aside, I have seen statistics that place 5 of Day's movies as the producing studios' (Warners and Universal) best-grossing films of the year: 1950 - Tea for Two; 1951 - I'll See You in My Dreams; 1952 - April in Paris; 1961 - Lover Come Back; and 1962 - That Touch of Mink. Those same stats show that 22 of her movies were in the Top 3 for their respective studios in the years they were released: 9 for Warners, 4 for MGM, both of the 2 she made at Paramount, 6 for Universal, and 1 for 20th Century Fox. For that high a percentage of her films to be so successful for their studios is pretty impressive.

Cogerson

Unread post by Cogerson »

Hey @jmichael, @dave, and @MusicLover.

First of all thanks for checking out my Doris Day page....and secondly thanks for pointing out some issues. I originally did not include 1951's Starlift because I thought it was a cameo role....since reading your comments I have now included Starlift in my rankings 31st out of 39th. Another mistake....I missed the first time was Romance on the High Seas.....as I did not find a box office number until somebody e-mailed the information....and it went from 35th to 16th in my rankings.

Sadly box office information is hit and miss for most movies pre-1980...which means every Doris Day movie falls in that category. I use Variety for one basic reason....it is the only source that I can get my hands on. I have over 40 years of Variety magazines that I use as my box office source. I would love to see Film Daily box office numbers...any information on where that information is located would be greatly appreciated. I actually flew to Los Angeles to get copies of the film ledgers for MGM, RKO and Warner Brothers.

When I originally wrote my Doris Day movie page....I had only seen 3 of her movies.....now I am up to 20 of her movies....so I just crossed the halfway mark. Hopefully my movie page will get others to do the same.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Just re-visited your website, Mr. Cogerson. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall that rather than zero Oscar nominations, "Jumbo" actually was nominated for best musical scoring (adaptation), but it didn't win.

Cogerson

Hey MusicLover....yep it got one nomination....and with that included..Billy Rose's Jumbo actually moved up one spot in my rankings.....I think eventually I will get this page correct....lol. We have to go to paperwork on the proofer for that page....he got a verbal for the first issue...but it is time to go to a written writeup...lol. Thanks again for spotting that error.

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

Sad that Doris' marriage was destroyed by crooked bankers, who cheated her out of her money and gave her no credit. Heart attack city - just like Bernie Madoff. Live and learn! I was also disappointed Doris did not go incognito and investigate.
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Welcome to the forum Cogerson - thanks for being so forthcoming.

Have you seen Doris Day's Box-office Grosses, Awards and Nominations, by forum member Paul Brogan?

http://www.dorisday.net/box-office.html
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Cogerson

Yep I checked out his page. Lots of great information there as well. I was there was a way to get better box office numbers for movies released back then. The studios were not interested in releasing that information. When USA Today started released the Top 5 every weekend....the studios were very much against that too...but eventually they released that giving box office information...actually gave them some free publicity. I image in Doris Day's peak time period....she would have probably had her own USA Today section. Thanks for the link to Paul's page.

Cogerson

I had to move my Doris Day page. But now it has a sortable fun table that looks at all 39 of her movies.....plus the adjusted box office grosses are updated using 2015 box office ticket prices. Just in time for her 83rd birthday.

http://www.ultimatemovierankings.com/doris-day-movies/

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Nice page but you're out by 10 years on her birthday - she was officially 90 last April, or older if you use 1922, as you have.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering