What John Wayne thought of Doris Day

Books and articles about Doris Day.
paul
Special Contributer

What John Wayne thought of Doris Day

Unread post by paul » 05 Jun 2014, 20:56

There's a new book out about John Wayne entitled, "John Wayne" The Life and Legend".

On page 425 you will find the following:

Another frequent offscreen companion around this time was Rod Taylor.
Once, Wayne idly asked Taylor what he was working on. "The second of two pictures with Doris Day", he replied.
"Jesus Christ!" Wayne exploded. "I would crawl over the mountains of Beverly Hills on my hands and knees if I could do a movie with Doris Day!"

jbeane
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: What John Wayne thought of Doris Day

Unread post by jbeane » 06 Jun 2014, 02:27

Yet another reason to love John Wayne!
"Someone drops a sigh and down you tumble"

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 06 Jun 2014, 11:29

What a wonderful quote from Wayne. Paul, you made my "Day" day!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 06 Jun 2014, 14:18

Love the quote from John Wayne. He and director Andrew McLaglen were friends, and it was reported somewhere (can't remember the source) that they had verbally agreed that Wayne would co-star in "Ballad of Josie" -- but that didn't happen, supposedly because Marty Melcher would not approve the salary Wayne wanted. It's easy to look back after the fact and wonder if that pairing might have made the film more successful; however, it does seem that, if true, that decision was shortsighted on Melcher's part as far as box office returns are concerned. At any rate, Wayne reportedly told Doris at the AFI salute to Jimmy Cagney in 1974 that he regretted not having worked with her. I think their on-screen chemistry would have been great.

jbeane
Forum Friend

Unread post by jbeane » 06 Jun 2014, 15:43

Musiclover wrote:Love the quote from John Wayne. He and director Andrew McLaglen were friends, and it was reported somewhere (can't remember the source) that they had verbally agreed that Wayne would co-star in "Ballad of Josie" -- but that didn't happen, supposedly because Marty Melcher would not approve the salary Wayne wanted. It's easy to look back after the fact and wonder if that pairing might have made the film more successful; however, it does seem that, if true, that decision was shortsighted on Melcher's part as far as box office returns are concerned. At any rate, Wayne reportedly told Doris at the AFI salute to Jimmy Cagney in 1974 that he regretted not having worked with her. I think their on-screen chemistry would have been great.
That just makes me feel bad - what an awesome pair they would have made. I don't think there is any doubt that the movie would have been a block buster. I think Doris would have been John Wayne's best leading lady ever!!
"Someone drops a sigh and down you tumble"

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 07 Jun 2014, 10:08

Great quote, thanks for sharing, I'd do that too lol

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin » 07 Jun 2014, 15:09

Paul~
Thanks for your new about the John Wayne book. It's great to know that. And, for what it is worth, I hope Doris is informed about this also. It's a lovely compliment!

Lauren

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul » 08 Jun 2014, 16:07

Hi Lauren -

I agree she needs to be made aware of this. I've contacted the author.